You are here

iPad - why buy?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

iPad - why buy?

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:35 am

I took my missus to the Mac store to let her play with the iPad (so she would want one and I could play with it)

She whipped around it for 15 minutes or so, and said OK lets go look around NEXT.

Later I asked her if she wanted an iPad and she said no, "It's no different from my iPod touch, except bigger, and I like to carry my iPod touch around in my purse"

That about sums the iPad up I guess! :frown:
Howdy Doody Time
Regular

The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: iPad - why buy?

Postby desmond » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:16 pm

Same as any other gadget, some people won't like it or find a use for it, others will.

I have no use for a handbag, yet the girlies love 'em. Go figure... :roll:
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby johnny h » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:23 pm

It's Howdy Doody Time wrote:
I took my missus to the Mac store to let her play with the iPad (so she would want one and I could play with it)

She whipped around it for 15 minutes or so, and said OK lets go look around NEXT.

Later I asked her if she wanted an iPad and she said no, "It's no different from my iPod touch, except bigger, and I like to carry my iPod touch around in my purse"

That about sums the iPad up I guess! :frown:

I think the solution here is to buy one for yourself...
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby Poly » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:15 pm

Haha, I'm still trying to convince my wife to upgrade from her mac mini g4 to a half decent secondhand iMac!
:)
Poly
Poster

PolycorpMedia

ProTools HD10 / 24ch Lynx Aurora / API / SSL / A-Designs / TK-Audio / SPL / Raindirk / Hearback

Postby turbodave » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:55 pm

desmond wrote:Same as any other gadget, some people won't like it or find a use for it, others will.

I have no use for a handbag, yet the girlies love 'em. Go figure... :roll:

I haven't found the handbag forum yet, so in line with the present discussion....save your money and buy yourself a handbag! :headbang:
turbodave
Frequent Poster

My head hurts!

Postby curly430 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:03 pm

As much as I like my MB Pro and iPod, I too think it's just an iPod touch that can't fit in your pocket/handbag!
Admittedly, there are some cool apps around for it, but it seems like the most over-hyped product going!
curly430
Poster

Postby Tui » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:27 pm

If this thingy could be used for a remote controller for Logic, I could be tempted...
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby Stephen Bennett » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Tui wrote:If this thingy could be used for a remote controller for Logic, I could be tempted...

It can using something like TouchOSC on the iPad and something like OSCulator on the Mac.

Regards

Stephen
Stephen Bennett
Regular

New Henry Fool album (Feat: Phil Manzenera and Jarrod Gosling of iMonster.) New Tim Bowness album (Feat: Peter Hammill, David Rhodes, Pat Mastelotto.)

Postby GPLaudio » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:48 am

I recently purchased the 3G model with 64GB. In addition I have iPod Touch and two MB Pros. We took all three devices on a recent trip half way across the U.S. And found ourselves mostly using the iPad. The screen size is ideal for portable use. Much easier to use than the iPod touch. Really great with maps. The larger screen makes videos more enjoyable and iTunes easier to use. I think the number of iPad specific apps is still limited but that will change in time.

Am very interested to see what audio apps will turn up. One more thing - the sound quality is amazing for such small speakers. Better than some laptops I have heard.

One thing about the 3G capability is that you can subscribe a month at a time.
Bottom line - I think there are good uses for all these products. - Dave

Sent from iPad!
GPLaudio
Poster

Postby Tui » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:56 am

Stephen Bennett wrote:

It can using something like TouchOSC on the iPad and something like OSCulator on the Mac.

Regards

Stephen

I was thinking the iPad could either mirror the display of the main machine, or even better, a custom app with virtual faders and buttons could control Logic directly via Wi-Fi. That would be so cool. I could walk around in the studio and mix my music from any corner of the room, or even leave the room. Hearing your mix from different angles often reveals flaws that aren't apparent when monitoring in close proximity.

EDIT: How funny. After closing the SOS tab on my browser and looking at the next page, the first thing I see is this:

Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby Tui » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:53 am

Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:50 am

:frown: [/quote]

I think the solution here is to buy one for yourself... [/quote]

You aren't married obviously. For a second I thought that's a great idea :frown:
Howdy Doody Time
Regular

The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Shingles » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:16 am

For half the price of an ipad I got tablet touch-screen pc that runs Windows XP. With more storage and all I could want. OK so it lacks 3G, is not multi touch and is a little thicker, but then it is at least 5 years old...
Shingles
Regular
Nik
Godin, Axon, Tonelab, Repeater & the skin of my teeth!

Postby johnny h » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:31 am

Shingles wrote:For half the price of an ipad I got tablet touch-screen pc that runs Windows XP. With more storage and all I could want. OK so it lacks 3G, is not multi touch and is a little thicker, but then it is at least 5 years old...

Sounds worth a lot less than half price of an iPad imo.

I got stuck at an airport for a few hours last week and had the pleasure of using one for. Almost made me glad my flight was delayed - amazing device! Plants vs Zombies is a great little game too.

Definitely the next stage in computing. It does general day to day computer stuff like browsing amazingly well.
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:33 pm

Shingles wrote:For half the price of an ipad I got tablet touch-screen pc that runs Windows XP. With more storage and all I could want. OK so it lacks 3G, is not multi touch and is a little thicker, but then it is at least 5 years old...

A slow crap, tiny Windows XP PC, for a few hundred quid. I'm finding it hard to see how that's good value for money... :? :headbang: :bouncy:
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby aviray » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:53 pm

It's Howdy Doody Time wrote: :frown:

I think the solution here is to buy one for yourself... [/quote]

You aren't married obviously. For a second I thought that's a great idea :frown: [/quote]
And you not long enough, or not times many enough..
Huge mistake taking her there, the proper way was to buy it, pack it nicely with flower on top, chocolate etc, make her happy (first she wont show she has no interests, contrary will try to show appreciation for lovely/useless gift, will play with it for few days, mainly to please you and after a week never again) and you, "since you are not using it, let me think how it could...." so, you done something for your relationship and have your controller, toy whatever you name it.
Trust me, was married 5 times.
aviray
Poster

Postby Tui » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:31 am

aviray wrote:
Trust me, was married 5 times.

:bouncy:
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby MarkOne » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:32 am

...morphwiz
MarkOne
Frequent Poster

Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby hifistud2 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:13 am

Trust me - married just the once, still am, for 32 years. Showed her the video on the Apple website, she said "I'm having one of them", so I got one, too... Just as well, cos she never puts hers down.
hifistud2
Regular

Postby alfraser » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:43 pm

Went to the apple store the other day to view the ipad. Had to *stand in line* on order to have a play - that's crazy.

To buy an ipad? My wife wants one. I guess the reason (as a previous poster hinted...) is if all you want is web, facebook and email (like 90% of computer users...) then it's perfect. A better choice than a cheapo PC. But for music? Maybe more of a toy...
alfraser
Poster

Postby jellyjim » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:45 pm

I have an iPhone and a MacBook and can't quite see why I'd need an iPad as well although if I had one I'm sure I'd find a use for it.

Where I think it will excel is in family households where computing needs are fairly basic (web, Facebook, photos, movies etc) and in business and education where it's just plain handy to have a very smart device hanging around with a decent sized screen.

I was working at a company recently that had one and it took on quite a specific role that neither the laptops, iPhones or desktops hanging around did. They are all "personal". The iPad floated around from person to person and was very much "shared". Somebody used it for a client presentation, somebody else surfed the web with it when they were having lunch and the secretary used it to organise some work photos from a work party.

It is a new class of device and a clever one at that.
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby Mark 'Em » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:04 pm

Why buy?

To read SOS on it. I like the Mix Rescue items, but am never near a computer to play the files, so would be nice to do that on an iPad. The latest edition of SOS has the microphone comparison. Interesting to read, but would love to hear it while reading it. Have a video for the Studio SOS item. Would be pretty cool. I think SOS is the perfect magazine for an iPad.

In the studio I think the iPad would be great as a coffee tray.
Mark 'Em
New here

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:56 am

Tui wrote:If this thingy could be used for a remote controller for Logic, I could be tempted...

This would probably allow you to take control of parts of Logic:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-controller-terminal-to/id349143915?mt=8

Rumour has it Euphonix might release an MC Control app soon. ;)

Ian G
Forum Admin
Location: A bomb-proof bunker deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK

Sound Advice tips: http://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice Gear videos, tutorials, studio tours and more: http://www.soundonsound.tv

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:02 am

hifistud2 wrote:Showed her the video on the Apple website, she said "I'm having one of them", so I got one, too... Just as well, cos she never puts hers down.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/air-guitar-hd/id370724088?mt=8

I can see you both now, headbangin' along with your Bo Diddley iPad Air Guitars :)

It's a revolution...

Ian G
Forum Admin
Location: A bomb-proof bunker deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK

Sound Advice tips: http://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice Gear videos, tutorials, studio tours and more: http://www.soundonsound.tv

Postby hifistud2 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:57 am

Forum Admin wrote:

It's a revolution...

More likely the Apple implant has taken...
hifistud2
Regular

Postby onesecondglance » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:09 am

what i think would be really useful for home musicians is something that will display the arranger window and transport bar that's showing on your main desktop. so when you're recording yourself you could just prop the thing on a music stand, start / stop playback and recording, and see what's going on without having to get up and walk over to your desk. particularly useful for vocalists in a booth, i would have thought.
onesecondglance
Frequent Poster

Postby chris... » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:52 am

You mean, a thing like this ?

Sadly discontinued :frown:
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby onesecondglance » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:42 am

he he, i actually have one of those. the only thing i think is missing is being able to see the arrange window, which i find very useful as a cue for when each part starts and stops. hence the iPad, with its ergonmically sized screen would be perfect.

gotta love the Tranzport though. the only surprise for me is that it's discontinued and no-one else has brought out anything similar. i guess clearly it's a niche requirement...

back on topic, i'm going to be able to play with an iPad for the first time on Saturday. i still can't think of a good reason to actually buy one, but i just want to touch it. and marvel at how pretty it is. and coo over how thin and light it is. and then persuade my father in law to buy one so i can play with it some more...
onesecondglance
Frequent Poster

Postby hifistud2 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:31 am

Tui wrote:

EDIT: How funny. After closing the SOS tab on my browser and looking at the next page, the first thing I see is this:

It's there now, I'm using it, and it's actually not bad at all... a few funnies here and there, but nothing that would cause major problems...
hifistud2
Regular

Postby johnny h » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:54 am

hifistud2 wrote:
Tui wrote:

It's there now, I'm using it, and it's actually not bad at all... a few funnies here and there, but nothing that would cause major problems...

Looks amazing. Actually really like the iPad. Might replace the laptop with it if serato comes out for it.
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Next