You are here

Logic and Mac FAQ threads......

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic and Mac FAQ threads......

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:53 pm

Hi Peeps.
In response to frequent requests and suggestions, I'm aiming to set up a Logic FAQ, and a Mac FAQ as sticky threads at the top of this forum... and eventually maybe turn them into a dedicated area as per the PC.

Sadly, I don't really document all the questions I answer here and elsewhere, or for clients, so I'm having trouble deciding what qualifies as an FAQ question....

SO..

Requests and suggestions please !

I'll sort through them, and compile a list for Logic, and a list for Mac OS X, and maybe one for OS9 and before (If my failing memory can remember all the answers for that lot..... )

Then Between the resident mac heads and logic guru's , We'll compile a list of answers and stick the lot up for people to peruse in times of grief.

I know what number one in the logic FAQ is going to be though.

Logic FAQ answer 1) NEVER EVER have the XSkey inserted during the install process. in @50% of cases the key is buggered as a result. and nothing on earth will retrieve it.

So roll up roll up, get yer pet queries in here.

This thread will be stickied up so you all have the chance to contribute.... without it falling off the page....

This FAQ won't happen overnight though...... I DO have a life outside this forum!

Max
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster

No Longer the slightest bit interested in your audio problems .   

Re: Logic and Mac FAQ threads......

Postby Escapee Planes » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:50 am

Q1) Can I use my Logic 5 PC files on a Mac?

2) Can I convert my Cubase PC files to Logic on Mac?

3) Do I have to buy a new copy of Logic, or will the PC version I've got work?
Can I crossgrade still?

4) I've heard Macs use AIFF files. Will it recognise my wav Files?

5) The Aplle monitors are out of my price range, Can I use a normal PC Screen?

OK, they might seem obvious but its a start.
Escapee Planes
New here

Postby E D » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:08 am

What exactly is Plugin Delay Compensation and why has it been taken away from busses in Logic 7?

It has been said that Logic sounds different from other DAWs, I thought in the digital domain this is irrelavent as everything is made up from 0s and 1s. Is there a difference compaired with others? If so, how/why?

Are there any differences (other than the obvious) in offline and online bouncing? Can offline bouncing harm the quality in anyway?
E D
Regular

Postby forumuser684732 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:09 am

I'm new to mac's are there any os tweaks I should do to improve the performance of my mac?
forumuser684732

Postby yorkio » Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:44 am

How do I rewire Logic to Reason?
What's the best way of programming drums in Logic?
How do I use my hardware synths with Logic?
yorkio

Postby Mr Edit » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:22 pm

Mr Edit
New here

Postby action711 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:09 am

Just wondered if there's a way to get my right mouse button to behave like alt + click, thus copying a part when I grab it? I have a logitech cordless jobbie and it just struck me how handy that would be.

Also, what are the key commands right at the bottom of the list for, for the controller assignment window ( which I can't find) - is that like a MIDI learn function for my midi controller and plug-ins, or is it something to do with a Logic control unit?
action711

Postby RoastBiff in The UK. » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:11 pm

I would love Logic to have some colour content in the Transport window when it is not in use. Just a simple GREEN circle around the Play button, and a RED one around record would save me a few mistakes made while stretching across to hit STOP and hitting record by mistake while playing, or singing live. Must get these spectacles checked as well !!!
RoastBiff in The UK.
Regular

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:32 pm

that belongs on a wish list NOT an FAQ Roastbeef.....

711 , Not sure about logitech, but kensington's Mouseworks utility allows you to define keystroke functions for ALL the buttons on their mice.... this would allow exactly what you're asking for... it MIGHT work on your mouse as well as the Kensington ones... But surely logitech do something similar??
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster

Postby action711 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:10 pm

yeah, sorted thanks Max.

My Logitech mouse now opens the mouseware app when I click the scroll wheel, and there I can change right click to be alt + click for working with Logic and back to ctrl + click for Safari - tabbed browsing.

This is great for when working on the arrangement of a tune.
action711

Postby leostones » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:47 pm

Once I have created an apple loop, how do i make it appear in the loop browser? Why can't I edit an apple loop in the sample editor? How do I turn an apple loop back into a non apple loop? When creating an apple loop, is there a way of making the apple loop a copy of the original instead of over-writing it? How do I name an apple loop? PS..the manual is rather poor when it comes to a full explanation of the apple loops function, Thanks
leostones
New here

Postby RoastBiff in The UK. » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:29 am

OK Max, What about a Wish List, does Emagic have one, I'm sure Apple and 'Big' Jobs couldn't give a s..t ? ?? Salute.
RoastBiff in The UK.
Regular

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:44 pm

RBIF

in every issue of sound on sound, in the logic notes section, there is a link for adding to the wishlist.

Max
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster

Postby Brianhuevo » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:49 pm

I've recently purchased my first Mac and would like to know how best to optimize/ partition for audio.

thanks
Brianhuevo

Postby Bal » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:54 am

How to optimise audio files (ie. get rid of unused bits of file to save HD space) in LE6? Had this facility in Logic3.5 - where'd it go? (I suspect the answer is Logic Pro)
Bal
New here

Postby tipex » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:48 pm

anyone used the distribution audio thingy using firewire? also, is it really true you have to use a G5 (isn't that because it's got gigabit ethernet?) Why can't I use my old G3 imac?
tipex
Poster

Postby Feefer » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:46 am

Hey, SOS: why not a short article on setting up a Powerbook for audio use? A few articles have referred to it (e.g. comparing instances of Platinumverb that can be run vs using a dual G), but I don't recall specifics....

@@@@

In the meantime, here is essential reading for setting up audio on OS X:

http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_tracking_big_cats/

Same author contributed to the following thread over at OSXAudio.com:

http://www.osxaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12004

These should definitely get you headed in the right direction....

@@@@

BTW, the node thingie only works with G4's and G5's....

Chris
Feefer
New here

Postby tipex » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:18 am

yeah, that's what they say, but will I listen?
tipex
Poster

Postby xkizx » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:18 pm

Are all the types of Logic audio similar as to how many physical inputs and monitor outputs they can handle in a session?
I am interested as i need a program to record into with a motu 828 and be able to monitor all 8 channels.
Is Express the same as Pro for this? There used to be an educational version avaliable for £80, has anyone had experience with this?
I only need the program to record into, not mix in so it seems silly for me to pay out alot for the full version if the lower versions will do the job i need them for.
Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Kieran.
xkizx
New here

Postby fractured » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:48 am

Any chance we can seperate the FAQ suggestions from the wishes and questions here? This thread is looking quite full, but it seems mostly to be questions that don't really fit as FAQ.

Perhaps there could be a screen by screen FAQ in the same way as Logic's key commands menu is laid out. There could be sections for PC-Mac switchers, initial set-up questions and even a section with Logic Instruments divided out into specific instruments.
fractured
Poster
"It all seems so stupid, it makes me want to give up, but why should I give up when it all seems so stupid?"

Postby ESCM » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:16 am

Hey, SOS: why not a short article on setting up a Powerbook for audio use?

Great idea!
ESCM

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:47 pm

Feefer wrote:Hey, SOS: why not a short article on setting up a Powerbook for audio use? A few articles have referred to it (e.g. comparing instances of Platinumverb that can be run vs using a dual G), but I don't recall specifics....

Longtime PowerBook devotee Paul Wiffen wrote a useful article in SOS April 2004 called Macs On The Move. You can read it here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr04/a ... onmove.htm

Ian G
Forum Admin
Location: A bomb-proof bunker deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK

Sound Advice tips: http://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice Gear videos, tutorials, studio tours and more: http://www.soundonsound.tv

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:50 pm

paperclip wrote:anyone used the distribution audio thingy using firewire? also, is it really true you have to use a G5 (isn't that because it's got gigabit ethernet?) Why can't I use my old G3 imac?

You need a fast Ethernet connection to make this Logic Pro 7 feature work. Gigabit (ie. 1000-base T at least; 10 or 100-base T is too slow).

Ian G
Forum Admin
Location: A bomb-proof bunker deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK

Sound Advice tips: http://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice Gear videos, tutorials, studio tours and more: http://www.soundonsound.tv

Postby Feefer » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:12 pm

Forum Admin wrote:Longtime PowerBook devotee Paul Wiffen wrote a useful article in SOS April 2004 called Macs On The Move. You can read it here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr04/a ... onmove.htm

Hi Ian,

Yes, I read the article. Putting the long history lesson aside, there's only about (2) paragraphs at the end of the article that offer specifics (advice like "turn off AppleTalk": well, there's a bit more to it than THAT).

So rather than a walk down Mac PowerBook lane, I was suggesting a more practical and comprehensive article, with step-by-step instructions for optimizing a current G4 PowerBook running OS X for music apps... I see Martin Walker offering similar concrete advice for PC laptops.

However, it's kind of a non-issue for me, now: I found disparate sources of information on the Web with much information not mentioned in the article.

Chris
Feefer
New here

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:57 pm

paperclip wrote:anyone used the distribution audio thingy using firewire? also, is it really true you have to use a G5 (isn't that because it's got gigabit ethernet?) Why can't I use my old G3 imac?

actually it will work on any Mac machine with a fast ethernet, or gigabit ethernet connection BUT

your G3 iMac has about as much additional CPU grunt as the average Chocolate fireguard.

it'd probably struggle simply to run the Node App, never mind any worthwhile numbers of plug ins. Especially as there's no Velocity engine facilities on the g3 series/.

(I am writing this on a G3/450DVSE iMac BTW, so I'm not simply being snobbishly picky.)

Max
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster

Postby Minty » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:08 pm

Hi Max, (long time no speak etc.)

Remembering when I switched to mac / logic, the first thing that would have helped tremendously would have been a simple tutorial on setting up enviroments, infact I may have a crack at writing one over the week end (if it may be of any use)

Minty
Minty

Postby Guy Johnson » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:57 am

I have a question:

You have an audio track. You want to replace a few sections with one good section. You copy/paste this good section into the gaps where the dodgy bits were. Fine, so far . . . Move the parts to the right place . . . So far, so good. Now, the frustrating part is that when using the finger to pull the beginning ore end of one part, all the copied parts move as well!.

I'm guessing it's because it is only one file on disk. All I can think of is to 'convert regions to audiofiles' which is a bit clunky.

Please tell me I'm a fecin' eejit and there is an obvious thing I've missed!

G
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:59 am

Guy.

there are 3 "stages" if you like.

1) the original Region, all copies of it are literally simply the same thing played again, thus ANY changes to the original are also changes to the later renditions.

2) Convert to individual regions. at this point your finger problem is resolved. as each region is in fact a separate entity that happens to address the same audio file... however any edits of the audio file samples themselves will be reflected on all regions addressing that file.

3) Convert to individual audio files. at this point you can then directlky edit the samples without affecting other regions, as they are now all their own files.

Max
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster

Postby Guy Johnson » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:23 pm

Max, thanks . . . just about what I was groping towards!

G
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster

Postby Ashley2005 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:16 pm

Hi,

This is my first post so I hope someone can help.

I own Fxpansion's BFD Drum Module, it runs as a multi-out plugin in Logic.

My problem is that Logic only allows 16 outputs from a plugin, where BFD needs 17.

Currently BFD displaces the crash cym 2 and ride cymbal on the same output channel, but this means that you are not able to mix and add effects to them separately, because they're on the same channel.

Will Apple ever fix this issue?

There are many complaints about this from other BFD users on the KVR-vst.com forums for Fxpansion.

Please can someone help

Thanks

Ashley
Ashley2005

Next