You are here

External HDD help!?!?!

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

External HDD help!?!?!

Postby vorbis » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Hey guys, I'm posting this 'cos I'm desperate for help!

My WD 500GB External HDD (USB), failed mid backup and now doesn't appear in Devices. I can see it in System Profiler & Disk Utility but can't do anything with it, only get information. It won't eject through Disk Utility either. It's sitting here making noise and everything. A restart doesn't help, neither does a different USB port.

Any suggestions?! I have a lot of samples & work saved on this drive!

Thanks
Simon

PS

'08 Macbook White
OSX 10.5.8
2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
vorbis
Poster

Re: External HDD help!?!?!

Postby desmond » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:04 pm

Pull the power to the drive (or hold down the power button if that works), shut down everything, and try a restart.

If the drive doesn't power up, the case electronics might be fried - the drive itself is probably fine. Just get another enclosure and put the drive into that.

If the drive does work and mount, then run a disk check and/or DiskWarrior on it to see whether there's any corruption etc.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Nov 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby vorbis » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Thanks! After several restarts and unplugging then replugging in everything, a cuppa and some head scratching it now randomly works...weird! I think I'll be shopping for a backup to backup my backups!
vorbis
Poster

Postby DAGGILARR » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:06 pm

When that happened to me it was the enclosure got a can opener out removed the drive stuck it in a new enclosure and it was fine, still use it at times

One of these is a handy thing to have about

http://www.maplin.co.uk/sata-and-ide-hdd-docking-station-with-hub-and-cardreader-388318
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

iMac 27" i7 2.9gh 2010 12GB ram, Focusrite Pro24DSP.

Postby chris... » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:37 pm

Probably handier, and MUCH cheaper - widget to connect a hard drive into a USB port:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320383801768&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby DAGGILARR » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:16 am

chris... wrote:Probably handier, and MUCH cheaper - widget to connect a hard drive into a USB port:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320383801768&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Yes this is what I use just could not find one, well done although it is a bit of a faf. Remember to remove the jumper if its a IDE. Fired one up the other day did not check the jumper, it did not show up in "my computer" misread the info that was there and proceeded to reformat a 650GB partition containing 450GB of files ..OUCH..
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:29 am

DAGGILARR wrote:misread the info that was there and proceeded to reformat a 650GB partition containing 450GB of files ..OUCH..

I'm *very* careful of this, as it's so easy to do. I normally go to the lengths of unmounting and disconnecting all of my drives except my system drive and the desired target drive before starting a format.

That way I can't do something I'll regret later...
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Nov 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby vorbis » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:52 am

Thanks for the replies! I'll experiment with this drive once all the data is transferred.

desmond wrote:
DAGGILARR wrote:misread the info that was there and proceeded to reformat a 650GB partition containing 450GB of files ..OUCH..

I'm *very* careful of this, as it's so easy to do. I normally go to the lengths of unmounting and disconnecting all of my drives except my system drive and the desired target drive before starting a format.

That way I can't do something I'll regret later...

Funny you should say that because the very reason I got this drive was because I did something very similar on a PC a couple of years ago when I was just starting out, a lot poorer and didn't bother with backing up!
vorbis
Poster

Postby DAGGILARR » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:18 pm

It happened when I was tired tired and angry just wanted to get the dam thing up an running and in the process lost a lot of stuff. I now need a new time machine drive for my imac. there is a Hitachi one that has automatic power control which is a nice idea, but the Samsung one is reported as being the quietest, any suggestions? has to be 2tb no need for FW or speed really just back up.
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster