You are here

Display Suggestions Please

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Display Suggestions Please

Postby Bob Bickerton » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:02 pm

I'm just buying a new MacMini for my admin and photography (nice but amateur) work. In use my MacPro as a dedicated recording/mixing computer. I'll retire my MacBook to location tracking duties only.

I'd like a new display and was thinking of the new Apple display, or something similar in quality and size wise between 22" and 27".

However I'd like it to have two DVI inputs or a DVI and HDMI and the ability to switch between the MacMini and MacPro.

Unfortunately the new Apple Cinema Display has only one input, Thunderbolt, so I can't see it'll meet my requirements for switching between two computers.

Any thoughts?

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Re: Display Suggestions Please

Postby DAGGILARR » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:07 am

Hi Bob got this from another thread may be of interest
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-011-HO

Also you may want to look at KVM switches

http://www.dabs.com/learn-more/peripherals/belkin-soho-kvm---share-your-monitor-5027.html

I had one of these and it worked fine
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

iMac 27" i7 2.9gh 2010 12GB ram, Focusrite Pro24DSP.

Postby G-Doubleyou » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:35 pm

I currently have a 22 inch LG connected to my quad i7 MBP, great quality.

Also these look interesting, never seen one yet on the US west coast.
http://www.hazro.com/HZ27WA.php

G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Postby mooblie » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:57 pm

I have a MacPro and a Mac mini and TWO Dell 2408 WFP Ultrasharp 24" 1920x1200 displays.

The displays EACH have VGA, 2xDVIs, Displayport, HDMI, component, composite and S-Video inputs. They're not the current latest Dell Ultrasharps, but hence they are available used for c.£200 - and excellent quality images.

Enough inputs and switching (and PIP) to allow me to run either/both the MacPro and/or mini to one/both screens as I need.

(I'm a video guy, and so the analogue inputs - and PIP - allow me to monitor inputs from video cameras/decks at the same time as a desktop as well. Of course, these displays also have built-in USB hubs and card readers. All very useful.)
mooblie
Regular

Martin at HeadSpin

Postby hollowsun » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:13 pm

DAGGILARR wrote:Hi Bob got this from another thread may be of interest
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-011-HO
I have recently bought one of these Hazros and I have to say, it's excellent - anywhere as good a display as the Apple Cinema. BUT...

While it's fine on my G5 at full 2560 x 1440, the best I can muster on my Mac Mini is 1920 x 1200 and the Hazro tries stretches that to fit the 27" making it very fuzzy and distorted. This is via the HDMO out put and the MiniDV output via a MiniDV > VGA convertor cable.

I have figured (by way of the Hazro's OSD) a way to show the actual 'native' size without stretching and it's fine but wastes a lot of the 27" acreage.

The Mac Mini is capable of 2560 x 1440 but only (it seems) via a direct MiniDV connection. If it goes via a convertor (or you use HDMI) , it seems limited to 1920 x 1200.

Unless you or anyone knows a solution to this!

But if your 'puter can manage 2560 x 1440 output, it's a bloody great monitor.
hollowsun
Frequent Poster

Postby chris... » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:32 pm

You made up "MiniDV".

Might want to be clear on Mini-DVI (a small version of standard DVI, that was found on MacBook Pros until a couple of years ago)

versus Mini DisplayPort (which your Mac mini has, but AFAIK you're not using).
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby DAGGILARR » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:03 pm

I have been considering getting a Hazro 27 to go with my MBP (this means I can sell the iMac an get some much needed cash) I contacted Hazro to confirm compatibility as it seems this is not straightforward. Below is their response. Thought I would share it here

"If your MBP has a miniDP port, you will need a mini DP to Dual Link DVI adapter (cost: £70~£100). There are a handful of vendors that offer these (inc. Apple). However, please note that these can be buggy and customer feedback on these adapters isn't great. The issue is not quality (i.e. no vendor is 'better' than the other) - the issue is with the Displayport standard itself. Most of our customers end up purchasing the Apple adapter and some go for Startech. In most cases, no problem is reported - however, some have reported pixelation and image shakes.
Hope this is helpful and please reply above if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Web Support Team
Hazro Technologies"

I will pop this onto the mac section as well
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:09 pm

Just to follow through on the original post given its been raised again, I went for a Dell U2311H and I'm very pleased. Color rendition is excellent.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby DAGGILARR » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:29 pm

Would you rate the Dell as comparable to an Apple cinema 23 ?
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:22 pm

I haven't put them side by side, but I would say the Dell would be as good as the Apple 23". The higher end Dell monitors seem to be as accurate as the Apple in reviews I've seen, but they have the mat finish, which many people prefer. However, whilst I enjoy photography, I'm not a display geek, so you'd best get opinions from people who are!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby groovacious » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Hazro 27.

I had one which I'd hoped to hook up to my mac Mini via displayport but no matter which dual link DVI adaptor I used there were screen issues regularly. Worked fine with my Mac pro with DVI out but via the displayport on the Mini it's no-no.

Gorgeous screen, though!
groovacious
Poster

Postby DAGGILARR » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:53 pm

It seems odd that they would rule them selves out of the MBP/mac mini market by this lack of input options.
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

Postby groovacious » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:51 am

I did hear that if you're running Windows on the Mini then the Hazro works fine....which led me to conclude it's more an Apple issue.
groovacious
Poster