You are here

Firewire to Thunderbolt

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Firewire to Thunderbolt

Postby twotoedsloth » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:25 pm

Well, I bought a MBA a few weeks ago, when a salesman convinced me that Firewire to Thunderbolt cables/dongles/hubs would be available "within the week". Well, that week came and went, and I still can't use my firewire interfaces (I have several). Should I go ahead and buy a USB 2.0 audio interface, or will the product I'm looking for eventually appear? I am using an M-Audio transit right now, so I can get by for a bit, but I'd like to record in more than just stereo, and it's a drag bringing a mixer or mic pre, the ADC and then the transit.

Thanks for your suggestions.
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:00 am

Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt

Postby DaleSmith » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:57 pm

I think its fairly safe to say that the Tunderbolt to firewire adapter will be available at some point soon.

If you buy a cinema display, some of them come with firewire ports, but a straight adapter is still gunna be hard to find. Companies did promise adapters in the summer, but so far they ain't appeared.
DaleSmith
Regular
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:00 pm

Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt

Postby Dave Rowles » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:17 pm

There are a few in the works. No solid release dates yet though. They will appear...
User avatar
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
Posts: 965
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 am
Location: Isle of Man

http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp


Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man


Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt

Postby ken long » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:07 pm

This is interesting. Will the adaptor speed up FW protocol? IE, will a current firewire interface be able to utilise thunderbolt speeds?
User avatar
ken long
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3162
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:00 am
Location: The Orient, East London

I'm All Ears.


Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt

Postby Black Sheep » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:24 am

ken long wrote:This is interesting. Will the adaptor speed up FW protocol? IE, will a current firewire interface be able to utilise thunderbolt speeds?

No. The adapter will bridge between the protocols but can't increase the speed of FW.
User avatar
Black Sheep
Poster
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:00 pm

Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt

Postby axeman_ukl » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:49 am

will the firewire device be able to run at lower latency due to to port having more band width availble to it if its not sharing with anything else before audio drop outs start to occur ,not that the firewire device can go any faster it will still be 400 or 800 ?

axeman_ukl
Poster
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:00 pm

Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt

Postby Aftertouch » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:48 am

I suspect nobody will know the definative answer to this until real products appear. However, the fact that there will be some protocol conversion from TB to FW leads me to suspect that we may see some comparability issues and possibly even higher latencies for some devices. More bandwidth may give more channels (as if FW's 800Mbps wasn't already enough!), but is unlikely to help latency.
Aftertouch
Frequent Poster
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:00 pm

Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt

Postby BraddersUK » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:45 pm

Looks like Sonnet have plans to make one.

LINK
BraddersUK
Poster
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Warrington, England

iMac 27" 2012/13, 3.4Ghz i7, 3TB Fusion, GTX680MX 2GB. Dynaudio DBM50, Liquid Channel, Apogee Duet.


Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt

Postby Exalted Wombat » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:59 pm

Aftertouch wrote:I suspect nobody will know the definative answer to this until real products appear. However, the fact that there will be some protocol conversion from TB to FW leads me to suspect that we may see some comparability issues and possibly even higher latencies for some devices. More bandwidth may give more channels (as if FW's 800Mbps wasn't already enough!), but is unlikely to help latency.

I fear we simply have to accept that Firewire is dead, in the Apple world at least. The flipside of things "just working" is that you have to accept whatever options you're given, not fight them.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5652
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am
Location: London UK

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.


Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt

Postby desmond » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:33 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:I fear we simply have to accept that Firewire is dead, in the Apple world at least. The flipside of things "just working" is that you have to accept whatever options you're given, not fight them.

Afaik, Apple include FW as standard on *all* computers they make, apart from the low end Macbook (which is now dead I think).

I can't see how you think Apple think it's "dead" - if that were so, it wouldn't be on currently shipping products.

That may (probably will) change in the future, but for now...
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6567
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 am

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: SOS Apr 87
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...


Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt

Postby twotoedsloth » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:00 pm

The whole reason I started this thread was because my Macbook Air does not have firewire.
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:00 am

Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt

Postby Exalted Wombat » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:09 pm

desmond wrote:
Exalted Wombat wrote:I fear we simply have to accept that Firewire is dead, in the Apple world at least. The flipside of things "just working" is that you have to accept whatever options you're given, not fight them.

Afaik, Apple include FW as standard on *all* computers they make, apart from the low end Macbook (which is now dead I think).

I can't see how you think Apple think it's "dead" - if that were so, it wouldn't be on currently shipping products.

That may (probably will) change in the future, but for now...

It's dead because there's no longer a mass-market application for it. Video cameras have moved elsewhere. Audio interfaces are creeping away from it. PC and full-size Mac users will be able to buy add-on cards for some time yet, I'm sure.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5652
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am
Location: London UK

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.


Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt

Postby Kaw-Liga » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:18 am

Firewire isn't dead and won't die. There will be thunderbolt to firewire adaptors available soon, but they will be expensive, since there are many things going on inside those cables. I hope the cable won't be only an adaptor, occupying the whole thunderbolt connection, since a thunderbolt drive and screen would be things on my list when I get a new computer.
Kaw-Liga
Regular
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:00 pm

Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:37 am

Kaw-Liga wrote:Firewire isn't dead and won't die. There will be thunderbolt to firewire adaptors available soon, but they will be expensive, since there are many things going on inside those cables. I hope the cable won't be only an adaptor, occupying the whole thunderbolt connection, since a thunderbolt drive and screen would be things on my list when I get a new computer.

Of course Firewire will die one day. Just as ISA did (any offers for my Pinnacle soundcard?), PCI and Parallel ATA nearly have, various obsolete Mac-only connector types have...

The point isn't to fall in love with Thunderbolt and salivate over the prospect of buying new gear that uses it. It's to use what does the job best NOW. The picture on your screen won't look any different for having come through a different connector type.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5652
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am
Location: London UK

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.


Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt

Postby Kaw-Liga » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:42 am

But with thunderbolt there will be the possibility of more screens, and ther will be very much faster external storages. Yet firewire, and definitely usb, still have a future ahead: they're much cheaper than the new cables, and does the job they do very well. There will be backwards compatibility with firewire and usb for a long time still. Especially since (nearly?) every mac out now has firewire inputs except the macbook air, which is not intended for pro audio-use, it is meant to be perfect for traveling. You can't even insert cd's into it.
Kaw-Liga
Regular
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:00 pm

Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:12 am

Kaw-Liga wrote: every mac out now has firewire inputs except the macbook air, which is not intended for pro audio-use, it is meant to be perfect for traveling. You can't even insert cd's into it.

I sometimes wonder just WHAT it's perfect for doing when travelling :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5652
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am
Location: London UK

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.


Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt

Postby Mixedup » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:59 am

Exalted Wombat wrote:
Kaw-Liga wrote: every mac out now has firewire inputs except the macbook air, which is not intended for pro audio-use, it is meant to be perfect for traveling. You can't even insert cd's into it.

I sometimes wonder just WHAT it's perfect for doing when travelling :-)

Yes, I thought that (everything when travelling and no serious 'pro' applications) was what the iPad was for... so I must admit to being baffled by the MacBook Air, except for the obvious posing value.
User avatar
Mixedup
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3998
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: Laputa

Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt

Postby Richie Royale » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:07 am

Mixedup wrote:
Exalted Wombat wrote:
Kaw-Liga wrote: every mac out now has firewire inputs except the macbook air, which is not intended for pro audio-use, it is meant to be perfect for traveling. You can't even insert cd's into it.

I sometimes wonder just WHAT it's perfect for doing when travelling :-)

Yes, I thought that (everything when travelling and no serious 'pro' applications) was what the iPad was for... so I must admit to being baffled by the MacBook Air, except for the obvious posing value.

The Air came out in 2008, so the iPad has nothing to do with it. As the Air now has Thunderbolt, I suspect it will be a more useful product, when peripherals start to become available.
User avatar
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4441
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Bristol, England.

Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt

Postby agent funk » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:39 am

Yes I'm glad someone pointed it out in the end - the Macbook has a Firewire connector as well as the the Thunderbolt. Why is the poster acting as if he's lost a feature when he has actually gained one? I have a new Macbook pro and I use the Firewire all the time.

There is a new mac display for the thunderbolt now and from what I gather it connects to all your firewire and usb devices. You can then take your laptop and connect to the display and all the connected devices with just the thunderbolt cable. Perfect if you use the laptop for your home studio but also want to take it out and about. Only trouble is that display isn't cheap!

You can also connect to a HD tv with the thunderbolt using a HDMI adapter.
User avatar
agent funk
Frequent Poster
Posts: 769
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:00 pm

Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt

Postby agent funk » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:31 pm

apologies I misread, thought the poster was talking about a macbook pro.
User avatar
agent funk
Frequent Poster
Posts: 769
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:00 pm


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest