You are here

Noisy G5 ?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Noisy G5 ?

Postby Gone To Lunch » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:04 pm

Every now and then the fan on my G5 PPC goes into noisy overdrive ? Is this just presumably thermal control, or do I need to worry, and is there any maintenance required ? I have set my processor performance to highest
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster

Re: Noisy G5 ?

Postby desmond » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:09 pm

When you peg the processor by doing something intensive (eg, rendering video, or playing projects that require a lot of CPU resources) the processor has to work harder, which generates more heat, so the fans ramp up accordingly.

You can monitor your temps if you are concerned about it (I am, and have my temps and fan speeds in the menu bar).
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby Big_al » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:31 pm

Shut it down, unplug it form the mains and open the side panel. Get in there with a hoover (thin nozzle attachment) and clear out all the dust especially on the radiator. Also hoover the outside front and rear panels to clear the dust that collects in all the little holes.

The reason your fans are going haywire is because your Mac is bunged up and fighting to cool down, mine was the same a few days ago until I did the same with a hoover and now it's quieter than a mouse! :)
Big_al
Regular

Postby . . . Delete This User . . . » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:13 pm

be VERY careful, most hoovers are basically portable van der graaf generators, and produce significant static discharge risks, and motherboard, cpu's, ram and pci cards are not known for their tolerance of this.....

might be better to blow it out carefully with dried compressed air discharge
. . . Delete This User . . .
Frequent Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:36 am

I pull out my fans and vacuum them separately. Then vacuum the front using a brush attachment and the back, if I can get around to it.

I find my Quad G5 goes noisy if I try to run 1080 flash (Youtube), but otherwise the machine is reasonably quiet.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Sounds-and-images » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:24 pm

Mine started doing this, then it started going to sleep and I hoped It was the thermal cut out, turned out to be a prospects or in the last throws of death.. Too expensive to repair so have not been making music for 18 months or more... So it may be bad news..
Sounds-and-images
Regular