You are here

Midi Confusion, Zones & Multi Timbral Instruments in Pro Tools

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Midi Confusion, Zones & Multi Timbral Instruments in Pro Tools

Postby pennyhosts » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:38 am

Hi

I've never really ever used midi in any other way than to trigger one sound at a time.

Looking at a few bass VIs such as Trilian, I wondered how you'd go about playing the different articulations they include.

On my keyboard (Axiom Pro 61) you can split it into zones. What I thought was logical to do is split the Axiom into two zones, have regular bass notes triggered from one zone and say slides from another.

I don't have Trilian yet, but I'm assuming the principle is the same with other multitimbral sources like Xpand, but I just can't get it to work, i.e. for the time being having let's say drums on zone C1-C3, bass on C4-C6 etc. (instead of the different bass articulations).

I THINK the route of my problem is the Axiom my, no matter what I try is only sending midi on channel 1, even if I change the global channel. But this could be a setting in pro tools.

Apart from trying to solve this, can somebody advise if I'm thinking about this in the right way. I don't know how VIs such as Trilain work otherwise - I suppose you could run more than one instance of the VI but this would seem wasteful.

Hopefully you understand my issue?

Chris :)
pennyhosts

Re: Midi Confusion, Zones & Multi Timbral Instruments in Pro Tools

Postby pennyhosts » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:54 am

I solved my own problem completely misunderstanding how the instruments tracks work in PT.

There is an article on this site that explains about Xpand2 and answers my question.

Still can't get the axiom to output on more than 1 midi channel, but then I don't need to...

Thanks...
pennyhosts