You are here

Upgrade to Logic 9 now or wait?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Upgrade to Logic 9 now or wait?

Postby Sherman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:18 am

I have managed to get by with logic 8 until now but I think I might benefit from the flex-time and bounce in place features since I want to record more external synth parts and bounce down CPU hungry synths like Omnisphere more easily.

Trouble is logic 9 has been out about over a year and a half and there is already lots of talk of logic x, I don't want to speculate on the release date for logic x since I know it's pointless but the time frame for a major logic update is usually around the 2 year mark it seems...

Do you think I should just put up with 8 like I have been or should I just upgrade to 9?

I think in the past they have given the new version free to people who recently purchased the last but I don't know how much time they allow?

any advice appreciated
Sherman
Regular

Re: Upgrade to Logic 9 now or wait?

Postby apeshake » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:58 am

you need to decide if the time logic 9 will save you is worth the £166 upgrade assuming you won't get a free upgrade when x comes out - it could be out tomorrow or in 6 months nobody seems to have any ideas. Plus there's the risk logic X will be botched like FCP X and if Apple take logic 9 off sale you'll be stuck on 8 for a long while

If it was me i'd be too eager to get the new features of 9 to let the threat/promise of X put me off (64-bit is getting more 3rd party plugin support by the day so that'll help if you have the extra RAM)
apeshake
Poster

Postby Kwackman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:17 pm

I suppose it depends on why you want to change to L9.
If the Flextime and the guitar amp stuff is important for you (it was for me) then go for it.
If 8 does all you need.....

And just in case you don't know- The Logic 9 needs an intel mac.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster

Cubase, guitars.

Postby Sherman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:38 pm

Good points, I think it's too risky to wait for Logic x, it could be a complete shambles and from what I've heard the latest version of 9 is very stable so I might not need to upgrade again for ages...
Sherman
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:43 pm

Kwackman wrote:And just in case you don't know- The Logic 9 needs an intel mac.

To clarify:

Logic 9.0.0 to 9.0.2 runs on PPC Macs as well as Intels (it's a Universal Binary).

Logic 9.1.0 onwards require an Intel Mac and do not contain any PPC code.

If you buy a boxed copy, you don't really know what version is going to be in the box, of course - most likely it's still 9.0.0 but you never know, it might be a more recent version...
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: SOS Apr 87
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby Sherman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:27 pm

that's ok, I'm using an intel macbook pro.

I was also wondering have they changed the way that groove templates are handled in version 9, because in 8 if you make a groove template from an audio file you have to keep the resulting midi file in your project somewhere in order for it to remain in the quantize menu, I always hoped they would change this so they could be used in other projects without the need to put the midi files in my default template?
Sherman
Regular

Postby infiniteloop » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Can you absolutely confirm that Desmond..??? The only reason I haven't upgraded to Logic 9 is because I understood it to be Intel only & therefore wouldn't run on my old G5/2.3 Dual..!
infiniteloop
Regular

Postby forumuser695516 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:47 pm

infiniteloop wrote:Can you absolutely confirm that Desmond..??? The only reason I haven't upgraded to Logic 9 is because I understood it to be Intel only & therefore wouldn't run on my old G5/2.3 Dual..!

It's true... Logic 9.0.0, v9.0.1 & v9.0.2 will run on PPC Macs. Not officially, but it is a universal binary application, and does run on PPC Macs. From then on however, it is 100% intel only.
In my experience though, these earlier versions of Logic 9 were not hugely stable unfortunately.
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby Kwackman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:41 pm

infiniteloop wrote:Can you absolutely confirm that Desmond..??? The only reason I haven't upgraded to Logic 9 is because I understood it to be Intel only & therefore wouldn't run on my old G5/2.3 Dual..!

He's correct. I ran 9.0.2 on my G5, but it couldn't take 9.1
But I didn't think you could get 9.0.x versions anymore?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster

Cubase, guitars.

Postby desmond » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:44 pm

9.0.2 is the last version you can run on PPC Macs. You won't be able to use Mainstage, as iirc that's Intel only, but the Logic application was unofficially PPC compatible until 9.1.0, because that was the first 64-bit version and it's not possible to make an Intel 32/64-bit application and also include PPC compatibility.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: SOS Apr 87
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...