You are here

Buying my first 3rd party plug ins

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Buying my first 3rd party plug ins

Postby Dodger » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:42 pm

Right i think i've now decided to finally take the plug and go for some 3rd party plug ins nothing to expensive but that will help with improve my sound then the one bundled with my software

few things ide like it to have

compatible with protools and logic as i tend to use them both (if its one or the other ide prefer protools)

authorised via ilok as i run both DAWS on my laptop and my studio computer so being able to switch between them easily is essential (obviously a similar idea which gives the same solution would work to.)

i have seen the waves power pack and really like the look of it as its waves ( from what i hear there one of the big boys in this game) also it has all the processors i think ide like (EQ compressor, Gate, Reverb) as i feel there the main ones i use.

however i also heard that with this pack i can only run 1 instance at a time ? true? i could only find 1 website saying it and i cant ever remember or find again anyone saying it...

thanks

Jack
Dodger
Regular

Re: Buying my first 3rd party plug ins

Postby chris... » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:08 am

Dodger wrote:authorised via ilok as i run both DAWS on my laptop and my studio computer so being able to switch between them easily is essential (obviously a similar idea which gives the same solution would work to.)

Some vendors allow you to install on your desktop and laptop, and use a challenge-responsee type authorisation, rather than ilok (or other hardware dongle).
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby Pyrotech » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:00 am

Check out the McDSP stuff maybe.
It's iLok authorised and they recently added AU support as well as RTAS/TDM (AAX on the way too), so PT and Logic are covered there.. The Project Studio bundle is a steal at $79 (RTAS only though) and gets a lot of use here.
You can download a 14-day demo and check them out.
Pyrotech
Poster

Postby Tui » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:07 am

Dodger wrote:
authorised via ilok as i run both DAWS on my laptop and my studio computer so being able to switch between them easily is essential

iLoks aren't as convenient in daily use as they may seem. I have two, but having to constantly plug/unplug them is a right pain, tbo. Also, every time they're moved around, there's risk of breakage. Challenge/response solutions with multiple authorisations are preferable.

Dodger wrote:

i have seen the waves power pack and really like the look of it as its waves ( from what i hear there one of the big boys in this game) also it has all the processors i think ide like (EQ compressor, Gate, Reverb) as i feel there the main ones i use.

Many people buy Waves for their first plug-ins (I did), because they think Waves are some sort of a standard and sound "better" than other stuff. While this may have been true 10 years ago, it is not so anymore. There are cheaper, even free, alternatives that are just as good, sometimes better than Waves. Trust your ears. Check out the free suite by Melda and also Voxengo plug-ins (e.g. HarmoniEQ), which are superb. The commercial plug-ins can be demoed without the need for an iLok. [/quote]

Dodger wrote:
however i also heard that with this pack i can only run 1 instance at a time ? true?

Not true.
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby Dodger » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:12 pm

I have an ilok ant having any problems thus far..

but is there any insurance u can get for them if they break or get lost ect?
Dodger
Regular

Postby Tui » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:44 pm

Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby chris... » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Dodger wrote:I have an ilok ant having any problems thus far..
But I imagine it's a PITA moving from desktop to laptop, and back.
chris...
Frequent Poster