You are here

Problems recording midi

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Problems recording midi

Postby nello » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:30 am

Hi there

I have a roland midi keyboard that is connected to my imac through an akai mpd26. whenever i start recording a midi track it records what i'm playing but also records extra notes that seem to go up the keyboard from the lowest note to the highest.
so i'm left with a region with hundreds and thousands of notes that i don't want.
it seems to happen most when I'm putting down a second midi track, usually the first is ok

help???
nello

Re: Problems recording midi

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:57 am

This usually happens because the keyboard has the local control switched on. Try switching this off, usually in the global settings. This should stop the extra notes.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:59 am

Hi nello -

Sounds strange - does it record these extra notes whether you're playing or not...? Do they coincide with the played notes, and are they in a fixed pattern, or is it more random than that...?
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby nello » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi RichieRoyale

i'm a complete numpty with these things.. when you say global settings .. the global settings of the DAW ?

cheers
nello

Postby nello » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:37 pm

it only starts to record the notes as soon as i play a note during recording.
the notes it creates bear no relation to what i'm playing and are basically a note higher each time and are recording at each next step so basically 32 notes in a region each note higher than the next..
then when i stop recording there's still a bit of afterburn in that it continues to make a number of random notes...

i've tried freezing tracks cos i've got a lot of plug-ins not going through buses etc cos i've not worked out how to do that properly but it's basically 4 or 5 audio tracks an ultrabeat track and then 2 midi keyboard tracks.
nello

Postby BJG145 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:41 pm

Kind of sounds like you might be triggering the MIDI sequence for playing back a beat-sliced drum loop. Are you running Stylus RMX or something similar...?
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:42 pm

It would be on the keyboard, however your description sounds like it is something else. If your keyboard is just a controller then my former advice is probably not applicable.

If you remove the Akai from the chain do you still get the problem? Do you also get the problem when using the Akai?

It sounds like some sort of MIDI echo is taking place, but I can't think why.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster