You are here

Thunderbolt is go ...

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Thunderbolt is go ...

Postby Dave B » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:37 am

.. according to Prism. In this news article (which they mailed out a link to) it says that they have tested the Thunderbolt -> Expresscard + Expresscard -> FW800 combination and all went well. It's a little convoluted, but that in itself is good news. I suppose the next thing to try will be the Thunderbolt -> FW adapter that has been mentioned.

Oh ... and buy a Mac with TB on it ..
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Thunderbolt is go ...

Postby twotoedsloth » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:24 am

If I can get this before mid January that might save my bacon...

Is there a chance for a direct thunderbolt to firewire connector? It's a bit strange to go from thunderbolt to expresscard to firewire.
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Postby Tui » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:34 pm

Thunderbolt is currently a solution looking for a problem. I guess this wont stop some people from throwing their cash at it.
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:41 pm

Tui wrote:Thunderbolt is currently a solution looking for a problem.

Weird way of looking at it. It's basically a new, much faster version of FW. It's just that as it's early days, there are not that many peripherals that have hit the market yet - just like the early days of FW, USB, SCSI etc etc.

Apple were aggressive at putting it on their machines to stimulate the market (which it has done) - and Apple have a history of this kind of move as well.

I see it more as a "solution that we're not able to fully exploit yet", rather than a 'solution looking for a problem". The problem is clear, people (at least pro users) do want easy, high bandwidth ways to pipe data in and out of their machines, particularly as machines are getting smaller and smaller.

Everything about it is a good thing, imo (apart from the name.)
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Nov 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby johnny h » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:41 pm

Tui wrote:Thunderbolt is currently a solution looking for a problem. I guess this wont stop some people from throwing their cash at it.

Agreed, there is only one device available that has a thunderbolt connection but no firewire; the macbook air. I'm really not sure why anyone would choose that machine over a 13 inch MBP for use as a DAW anyway...!
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby Tui » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:38 pm

desmond wrote:
Weird way of looking at it. It's basically a new, much faster version of FW.

Not really. It's a variation of PCIe with a different connector.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:08 pm

Tui wrote:Not really. It's a variation of PCIe with a different connector.

Yes, I know - I didn't mean technically - I meant in terms of what it means for computer/laptop users.

it's basically an equivalent of a next generation FW port, nice, fast, high bandwidth and throughput. Of course it has additional advantages over FW as well.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Nov 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?