You are here

advice on secondhand Mac set up

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

advice on secondhand Mac set up

Postby jakeolly » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:37 pm

hi all
been out of recording world for a few years but am back in, (like a relapse)
I am going to try the mac route and want advice on secondhand buying.
I have £1,0000. Ihave all mic, interfaqce speakers etc. I just want a mac (laptop) and some software to compose and record on . Wont have masssive numbers of tracks and will only record a voc, a guitar etc. NO multiple mic set ups. I want any keyboards and drums to be in the mac so I can take the lot out and about
I can see there are lots of mac models and lots of upgrades etc. ALso quite a few opportunities to buy when people upgrade .
my question is are there any 'mac books to avoid' for music, how far back i can safely go and particular advice on what to look for or avoid . Dont mind which DAW although Logic looks interesting

good mac books + software to look for or avoid ?
thanks
jakeolly
New here

Re: advice on secondhand Mac set up

Postby desmond » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:23 pm

Avoid PPC Powerbooks, you want an Intel machine (ie, a Macbook Pro)

Avoid Core Duo machines (they won't run recent software, or anything 64-bit).

Stick to Core 2 Duo machines or newer, So Macbook Pros from about Late 2007/Early 2008 onwards.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Dec 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby Dave B » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:01 pm

Any MacBookPro should be ok. I wouldn't go back beyond the Core2Duo machines as that was the start of the better spec'd processors (64bit) and the machine will take OS updates. Try to get at least 4Gb RAM. I'd get a machine first and then think about the DAW - try Garageband first as it may look simple, but actually is a fun bit of software (which will take 'pro' plugins as well), which may well suite your needs.
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby jakeolly » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:06 pm

desmond
thank you so much, that is exacttly the sort of tip i was looking for
anything similar about software to seek out or avoid ----really good , really bad/ processor hungry- i am really sceptical about lazy programming and excessively demanding software , or stuff that may be great but needs massive amounts of memory. some drums would be nice, decent bass sound etc maybe some decent mastering or sound sculpting. dont need massively detailed convolution reverbs etc
jakeolly
New here