You are here

Use of SD Card Astor live recording on MB Pro

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Use of SD Card Astor live recording on MB Pro

Postby GPLaudio » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:30 am

I use a Mac Book Pro with Logic Pro to record about two hours of live content each week. There might be 4-5 tracks via RME Fireface 800. Currently I have a small external USB drive attached to capture the audio tracks. Editing is later processed on my Mac Pro.

QUESTION - I have been thinking of using an 8 or 16 GB high quality SDHC card in the MBP rather than the external USB portable HD. It would be one less piece of equipment to carry around. Does anyone have experience with recording to SD card on MBP? Any significant potential issues? Thanks - Dave
GPLaudio
Poster

Re: Use of SD Card Astor live recording on MB Pro

Postby Scope » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:46 am

I can't understand why you are not using the internal drive.
The sata HD is more than capable & considerably better than an external USB !
Is it a space issue?

Given the cost of SD cards it's worth a punt.
I use a Roland location recorder which record 4 tracks at 24 bit to a grade 2 SD card.
Other than eatIng batteries, it's great.

I can't see the mac being any less capable.
Scope
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:50 am

The internal drive works fine. Don't make life harder for youself.

SD Cards have fairly slow write speeds, so don't really offer any advantages.

If it's a space issue, you can always put in a 1TB 7200 drive into your laptop, or something...
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby Scope » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:27 pm

I was looking at swapping the cd drive for a caddy & hd combo,
- that was until HD prices went mental.....
Scope
Frequent Poster

Postby GPLaudio » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:49 pm

Appreciate the responses. HD space is not an issue. I had a crash a few months ago and seem to recall reading that recording to an external drive helps to prevent issues. However, the "crash" may have been an anomaly. It has not occurred again with or without an external drive. SD card might be a little more convenient for transfer to another computer for editing. ( I use an old version of Audition.)

Thanks for the comments. Always a big help. - Dave
GPLaudio
Poster

Postby chris... » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:14 pm

GPLaudio wrote:Appreciate the responses. HD space is not an issue. I had a crash a few months ago and seem to recall reading that recording to an external drive helps to prevent issues.

Hi,

Whether a hard drive is physically inside the laptop, or outside, ain't gonna make any difference.

As to whether a flash card is a better bet than a hard drive, I don't know. But I rather doubt there's much in it.

Select your hard drive icon and do "Get Info" and check it's MacOSX Extended (Journalled) as the journalling is there to help avoid corrupt files in the event of a crash.

Unfortunately, you may still lose files that haven't been "closed" at time of crash, as is typically the case for recording apps. If there's a way to stop and start the recording (hence closing old file and starting with a new one) during certain break(s) in the performance, it may be worth doing so.

At the end of the day, where of critical importance, many people run two (or more) recorders - be they computer-based or otherwise.

PS - what's an Astor ?
chris...
Frequent Poster

Re: Use of SD Card Maxtor live recording on MB Pro

Postby GPLaudio » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:16 am

"Astor" = Accidental typo for Maxtor... Sorry

RE:Use of alternate backup recording methods... Yes - I use a Tascam CD recorder and Denon solid state recorder with internal SD card or external USB drive. In this particular setting I almost always have all three devices operational at the same time.

Thanks again for the helpful comments.

Dave
GPLaudio
Poster