You are here

i5 or i7 13" MB Pro for Ableton / Max AND Jitter use LIVE?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

i5 or i7 13" MB Pro for Ableton / Max AND Jitter use LIVE?

Postby jules2005 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:43 pm

Hi!

I'm going to be playing live using Ableton Live 8 (not the suite) as the main host with Max for Live (latest version). On some tracks I'll be suing jitter devices within Max For live to manipulate Video with audio / midi etc. I'll also be using video clip directly within Ableton live.

I need a new laptop (13") and wondered whether I'd be better off with an i5 with 8gb RAM or an i7. My own feeling is that an i5 would suffice. We may use a second laptop to play out of Ableton and leave the new one dealing with video but if enough people felt we could get away with it we'd try to use one laptop for all. Am I dreaming?

Btw I appreciate that this is a perennial i5 or i7 debate / question. I did do a search but I was interested specifically in usage with Ableton AND Max For Live. I am new to both.

I really appreciate your thoughts!
jules2005
Regular

Re: i5 or i7 13" MB Pro for Ableton / Max AND Jitter use LIVE?

Postby twotoedsloth » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:20 pm

You can always upgrade RAM quite easily, but you can't really upgrade your CPU... In my opinion, you should always buy the fastest CPU possible, and plan on upgrading the HDD or RAM when you can afford it.
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Postby Lukas Pearse » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:40 am

Doing almost exactly that already, but with a much older MBP. You are not dreaming, it can be done if you are careful.

You should be ok with either, but the thing that matters the most for jitter video is the video card, and what format of video you are using, preferably Photo-JPEG, and if you are streaming video off of an external HD, it really needs to be FireWire 800 and 7200RPM. It's about bandwidth, not just speed. Don't even think about steaming video from the internal HD. As much as possible use OpenGL rendering, rather than RGB for your output. And if you can offload some video capture, if that's what you are doing, to something like a Matrox MXO2, that helps a lot with live video processing.

The CPU is of less importance here than these other factors, although I'm sure it would help to have more.

I am scoping out newer models, and considering a new mini, but have already had great success with a 2.6ghz 4GB RAM 2008 MBP.

Have fun!
Lukas Pearse
Poster

Postby jules2005 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:51 am

Lukas -

Thanks! This is a really useful reply, makes total sense.

J
jules2005
Regular

Postby electrotimba » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:11 am

Running audio & video from same notebook is not the best idea, if at all then you need more powerful model. 2011 13` is bad choice for anything video. Wait till (probably) April, hopefully next generation will feature real graphic card,or get 2010 model - with 320 Nvidia, or get 2011 Macmini 2.5 with Radeon graphics (if you really want to have video and audio from same machine then get i7 2.7 CPU).
electrotimba
Regular

Postby jules2005 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks for this. Sadly I need a laptop rather than mac mini as I will use it for other things out and about. Also VERY unfortunately...I am completing a music degree and want / have to use this in my final degree show in june. I am doing a presentation in just a few weeks and would need it for then...so I can't wait for the new ones when they arrive. It's a drag but that's the way that it goes I guess.

SO....I need to grab either a 13" Macbook pro i5 or (if I really have to) i7. It looks like the i7 is the only realistic choice. Is ANYBODY at all experienced in using a 13" i5 with more ram maybe for live Ableton / Max for Live / Jitter shows?

I am aware I'll need to "cut my cloth" on the jitter front but I'm just looking to synch playback and maybe change some colours / fx ..nothing major. Any final thoughts... gotta get this soon.

Thanks!
jules2005
Regular

Postby electrotimba » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:40 am

You will be OK with audio whichever you buy but if you want to do anything video 2011 13 is the worst choice. So forget video or if you must use video get 2010. I use that model for VJing and it works great. It is still fine for audio, when I get new MBP for audio, will keep the 2010 just for live video.
electrotimba
Regular