You are here

Logic automation glitching

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic automation glitching

Postby nathanscribe » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:03 pm

EDIT OF ORIGINAL POST AFTER PROBLEM PART-SOLVED.

I've been getting glitching (a 'pop') on Logic's automation - particularly when automating gain of the channel EQ. Even when there's only one track and one band of EQ switched in, Logic seems to have trouble with the first automation node on the line. No other nodes cause trouble, and the placing seems irrelevant. CPU grunt is minimal according to the meter, and these are files that are already pre-recorded audio. No other plugins are in use on that track, and other tracks muted. I managed to get one good take this evening, so all is well, but if anybody knows what causes this kind of problem, I'd be glad to know.

It also glitches when that track is frozen, which suggests to me there's something wrong with the way Logic process things, rather than my system being incapable.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Re: Logic automation glitching

Postby desmond » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:16 am

Just on that audio part, or does it does this on any audio track?

Moving where the automation point kicks in, does that change anything?
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:49 am

Well it's the first time I've tried automating EQ parameters, but it's doing it on any track I try it on - and moving automation points doesn't change things.

I ended up hiding and muting all other tracks (though it's a small project with only 5 audio tracks) and even had to mute a stereo mixdown (recorded via audio, not bounced in the box) while recording - with only the three automated tracks running in real time, it worked.

Not happy though, if it's going to faff about like this it cuts out a lot of potentially useful processing.

I'm running a 2007 iMac Intel Core 2 Duo with 2.5GB of RAM which I know is old now, but generally can work trouble-free at quite low latencies, and this is the first time I've had bother with automation. Volume automation can run on a whole bunch of tracks simultaneously, but this EQ glitch seems hell-bent on grumbling when it first kicks in. It seems to be the change from 0dB that does it, but I might be wrong. Using non-automated EQ is not a problem, and I've run multiple plugins before with no bother. Could just be a bug.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:19 am

Can you get by with automating a gain plugin after the EQ, rather than automating the EQ gain parameter, if that's causing issues for you for some reason?

Or are you talking about the individual EQ band gains?

Also, what version of Logic are you using?
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:43 pm

Logic Express 9.whatever. Latest incarnation.

The automation is a single band of the regular channel EQ, at 200Hz, with all other bands switched off. It was just a case of dipping that band at times when it was getting a bit honky, for want of a better word - but without cutting it all the way through the track.

I suppose I could turn a knob on my mixer, but I reckoned automation is there for a reason...
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster