You are here

Combining new and old

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Combining new and old

Postby Lucky Sam » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:55 pm

Hello everyone

Apologies for my first ever post being a plee for help.

Im trying to find a way of keeping some relatively old (but still very useful to me) pieces of equipment integrated into a newish system and wondered if you had any thoughts / advice;

Ive got a PC that we used in a previous studio to run Cubase that has a Delta 1010 and a UAD card on old style PCI boards. All our work is now done on Macs running Logic and im hoping that I can use the Delta and the UAD to make a home set up using a mac pro running Logic 9. Do any of you know if there was a version of a macpro that i might be able to look out for that would be old enough to enable me to install the delta and the uad card on old PCI slots but new enough to enable me to run Logic 9?

Can you hear the sound of clutched straws?

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks

Sam
Lucky Sam
Poster

Re: Combining new and old

Postby Gone To Lunch » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:14 pm

Gut the PC and sell the cards on ebay.....
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster

Postby Scope » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:11 am

All Mac Pros are PCIe.

The last Mac to have PCI was the early G5s, upto 2004
( later Dual core G5s had PCIe )

The only way to use PCI in a modern mac is to make a so-called 'hackintosh' with PCI slots on the mobo.
I say 'so called', as the best method of achieving Mac Os on PC hardware, does not use any hacked, altered, modified or specially-made code at all.
Scope
Frequent Poster

Postby Tartaruga » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:43 am

Hi
Almost any MacPro with PCI capability would do the job.Keep your ‘Delta’ and your UAD card for yourself.Probably the person who advise you to sell them,will be the first to ‘bid’ in eBay…
Cheers
Pedro
Tartaruga
Regular

Postby Kwackman » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:59 am

Tartaruga wrote:Hi
Almost any MacPro with PCI capability would do the job.Keep your ‘Delta’ and your UAD card for yourself.Probably the person who advise you to sell them,will be the first to ‘bid’ in eBay…
Cheers
Pedro

MacPros are PCIe, I think the UAD card is PCI, so no MacPro will do if that's the case.
As stated above, G5 (I'd a 2.0 dual) had PCI cards which would suit, but you are only able to run an early version of Logic 9 on the G5, and I'm not sure if that early version is available any more, and even if it was, the later versions of 9 had bug fixes etc that you won't be able to access.
If it's any consolation, I had to say goodbye to my much loved RME PCI card when I moved from G5 to MacPro. Upgrading is always more expensive than you think!
Good luck.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster

Cubase, guitars.

Postby Lucky Sam » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:09 pm

Thanks everyone.

Looks like ill have to say goodbye to the delta and the UAD - seems such a shame to not use perfectly decent pieces of kit simply because they cant be integrated into the new mac chasis. Thanks again though for your help.

Best wishes

Sam
Lucky Sam
Poster