You are here

Sound Forge equivalent on the Mac

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Sound Forge equivalent on the Mac

Postby twotoedsloth » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:22 pm

Does anyone know of a decent substitute for Sound Forge on the Apple platform? I've been using Cubase and I was going to buy Peak LE but the salesman talked me out of it (?!?).

I usually record 4 classical or Jazz concerts a day, all I need is a program that will let me trim the front and back ends of tracks, insert track IDs, and burn CDs, doing all of this quickly. I can do this in Sound Forge, but I would like to use my Macbook Air as it's much smaller and lighter than any of the PCs I have access to.

Thanks for your advice,

Peter
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Re: Sound Forge equivalent on the Mac

Postby Scope » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Peak is absolutely fine.
I have used it for over a decade for sample editing and preparing stereo masters.
Sure it does not have all the extras that SF has, but its works just fine.
( To make it more like SF, you need to add plugins, only then does it come alive & let you perform all those built-in functions you get in SF. )

Its is SUCH a missed opportunity for Sonic Foundry & now Sony, not to release a Mac version of SF.
They would clean up.

Duh!
Scope
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:09 pm

Why pay for a 2 track editor? Try :

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/beta_mac

Although it is called 'beta' it's running fine all over the place
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby electrotimba » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:40 pm

Wave Editor http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/waveeditor/ is my fav on OSX, very clean and quick. After using SF and Wavelab , found Peak and other OSX editors terribly outdated, PITA to use, not to mention -horribly overpriced. I would rather use Audacity then those OSX dinosaurs but Waveeditor is faster and pleasure to work with.
electrotimba
Regular

Postby Lizardpoint » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:46 pm

Hi there,

I use Soundforge on my Mac under VMfusion4 and its perfect.
So if you already own Soundforge , you can buy VM Fusion for about $40
You can run it in a window so it looks just like a mac program, you can pass data to and from it.
I tried Peak and I unreservedly hated it. (In fact I'm selling my copy in the SOS reader's Adverts)
Audacity is OK too but lacks the bells and whistles.

Hope this helps

Lizardpoint
Lizardpoint
Regular

Postby Pitchfork » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:41 pm

Lizardpoint wrote:Hi there,

I use Soundforge on my Mac under VMfusion4 and its perfect.
So if you already own Soundforge , you can buy VM Fusion for about 0
You can run it in a window so it looks just like a mac program, you can pass data to and from it.
I tried Peak and I unreservedly hated it. (In fact I'm selling my copy in the SOS reader's Adverts)
Audacity is OK too but lacks the bells and whistles.

Hope this helps

Lizardpoint

I'm doing the same in Parallels and its very quick and stable.

I still can't believe that Sony refuse to go near the Mac, as Peak is awful and alot of Mac users I know come from Sound Forge on the PC and there's nothing the same on the Mac. So a VM maybe your best bet.

I also use Reaper which is very close but not quite there as a direct SF replacement.

Most Reaper users don't now use an editor as it is very flexible but I just got to get used to it i suppose.

If only Cockos would update Reaper to process fx on the timeline, and genuine area selection (which is the top feature request) then it would make a perfect editor for OS X, as well as an excellent DAW.
Pitchfork
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:28 am

Lots of previous threads on this already - I won't (re-)state my opinions.

Of all the wave editors on the Mac, none are as great as SF was, but the one I'm liking the most at the moment is actually Adobe Audition...
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: SOS Apr 87
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby twotoedsloth » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:15 am

The salesman recommended that I wait for the cross platform version of DP which is apparently in the cards before summer. I guess I can keep working in Cubase for the time being. In the mean time there has to be a better program for burning CDs than iTunes... what are you folks using? This is probably an issue for another post, but is there an equivalent to Nero on the Mac?

The only problem with running SoundForge in a VM is the disc space issue, it's a Macbook Air, with a fixed amount of SSD space (128 gigs).

I'm also waiting for that damned Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter... the LaCie rep assured me today that it's on the way, but I've heard it all before.
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Postby ken long » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:20 am

twotoedsloth wrote:The salesman recommended that I wait for the cross platform version of DP which is apparently in the cards before summer. I guess I can keep working in Cubase for the time being. In the mean time there has to be a better program for burning CDs than iTunes... what are you folks using? This is probably an issue for another post, but is there an equivalent to Nero on the Mac?

The only problem with running SoundForge in a VM is the disc space issue, it's a Macbook Air, with a fixed amount of SSD space (128 gigs).

I'm also waiting for that damned Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter... the LaCie rep assured me today that it's on the way, but I've heard it all before.

I use Wavelab. DDP now as standard, Spectrum Editing, Error Analysis and correction, the Fastest batch processor I've ever used and Sonnox restoration plugins part of the package. If you just need to top and tail, then a free programme should be fine though.
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.