You are here

Crossgrades on Mach 5 and Yellowtools- A catch?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Crossgrades on Mach 5 and Yellowtools- A catch?

Postby NuBoy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:23 pm

Hi there,
I see MOTU and Yellowtools offer their respective Mach 5 and Independence samplers and libraries at a greatly reduced rate as a "cross grade" deal to registered owners of certain other soft sampler packages.

My query is; does buying one of these cross grade packages somehow prevent you from using your existing, say Kontact, sampler also. (i.e. You can't install until deleting your existing package for example)?
NuBoy
Regular

Re: Crossgrades on Mach 5 and Yellowtools- A catch?

Postby OneWorld » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:04 am

NuBoy wrote:Hi there,
I see MOTU and Yellowtools offer their respective Mach 5 and Independence samplers and libraries at a greatly reduced rate as a "cross grade" deal to registered owners of certain other soft sampler packages.

My query is; does buying one of these cross grade packages somehow prevent you from using your existing, say Kontact, sampler also. (i.e. You can't install until deleting your existing package for example)?

Good question, I am under the impression that a cross-grade does sort of upgrade the existing software, eg, moving libraries (I know that Independance insists on having a particular locations) maybe even convert file formats etc.

If you are considering Independance do you know there is a free version that can be downloaded. I liked it but has a few niggles, when I move the mouse I get crackling, I upgraded my PC to a much more powerful one and it still did it.

The other thing is, if you make your own programmes, the wav files you use have to be in the YellowTools folder, so you can end up with files being duplicated. Whereas with other samplers, I have used Gigasampler and Kontakt, you can place the files where ever you like. The Spanish Guitar on Independance is about the best I have come across.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby Pink Fluid » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:37 am

Crossgrades are just a marketing tool, nothing to do with the software. If you qualify you will normally have to provide some type of proof of ownership of your existing software, that's all. See this link as an example: http://www.musictrack.co.uk/machfive_crossgrade.htm
Pink Fluid
Regular

Postby NuBoy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Pink, I checked out your link, it's similar to ones I've seen. Clearly it's a marketing tool, but; it doesn't expressly say you can continue to use, unchanged or otherwise, your existing applications. This is what's worrying me. You'd be mad not to take the discount, but not at the expense of having to ditch existing gear.
NuBoy
Regular

Postby daedalus » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:05 pm

Hm, I've done a few crossgrades over the years but besides providing proof of purchase, I have never come across a request to stop using my previous software from the developer. This would definitely be news to me.

Don't know Mach5 (looks very good) but the YT stuff is average. Yes, the Spanish guitar and a couple of other presets are quite good, some fx in the chain can be useful, and if you need Vst hosting for your DAW, it can do that. However, after going with Kontakt, YT is gathering dust on my sample drive - I find the whole layout hard to adapt to, library paths have to be very specific, authorization can be a real pain the ..... You get my drift.

Oh, and it's not the gentlest of samplers on your CPU.
daedalus
Regular

Just a piano and some sketch paper please...

Postby Pink Fluid » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:30 pm

If you have Kontakt, how is Motu going to stop you using that other than an arrangement with NI to de-register you once you have registered Mach 5? Don't think so. Years ago, I crossgraded to Samplitude because I had PT LE. Still have both and still use both. Just buy at the crossgrade price if you can prove you already own other s/w.
Pink Fluid
Regular

Postby NuBoy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Ok guys,thanks you have convinced me, I'll go for it.
BUT
I reserve the right to throw a Law Suit at you if it all goes pear shaped!
NuBoy
Regular

Postby daedalus » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:25 pm

Fair enough. Though I expect you'll throw us a party if all goes down as planned?
daedalus
Regular

Just a piano and some sketch paper please...