You are here

VMware and USB problems

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

VMware and USB problems

Postby DAGGILARR » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:43 pm

I have VMware running windows 7 on an iMac i7. I use it for the odd thing now and then. I have discovered that the editing software for a midi device (Axon AX50) was not Lion compatible but as the device has midi out as well as usb I can run the midi thru' my sound card (Saffire pro24) and route the USB into W7 which will run the editing software. Problem is VMware is causing W7 to not recognise the USB device. (I have tried it on a W7 laptop and it works fine so the problem is a VMware one)

Has anyone any ideas I have tried all sorts
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

iMac 27" i7 2.9gh 2010 12GB ram, Focusrite Pro24DSP.

Re: VMware and USB problems

Postby Dark Fader » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:50 pm

Are VMWare Tools up to date? What have you tried so far?

Cheers, Jim
Dark Fader
Regular
...rubbish at words 'n' stuff.

Postby DAGGILARR » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:08 am

I have tried some registry edits in windows that were suggested on a forum that rendered W7 unbootable so had to restore,
I have tried some terminal commands shown on the VM site, also some alterations to .vrx file I think ,USB quirks that was called ,I have updated the VMware tools and am using VMware 4.1, I have tried updating drivers, uninstalling usb's from device manager and rescanning, I have tried a virtual XP pro OS in VM ware I have tried a W7 virtual machine in Virtual Box, I have tried installing bootcamp drivers in W7, I have tried prayer, I have tried three different USB cables, I have tried direct USB into Mac , I have tried via a powered hub, I have tried via a non powered hub. no variation in response "Code 43: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems"

Yet when I plug it into a Windows 7 laptop it all works fine.

It worked fine in Snow Leopard, but I can't install that on a vm cos Apple will not allow it.

Interestingly VMware names the device accurately in USB settings so does Virtual box it just windows in a virtual environment just has it as an unknown device with a yellow bang in device manager

I am just about out of ideas now.
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

Postby ZeuZ » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:59 am

Slight tangent here, but how do you rate VMware emulation for music production? For a while (when I saw the price of macbooks vs the hardware thats in them) try to make a hackintosh laptop. That failed, so I tried a virtual machine with virtualbox. Also failed, my laptop was too new spec to have OSX support for my graphics card, and other issues too. Is it reasonable to have a PC based laptop and run VMware to use OSX programs such as logic within a windows OS ? Or will that be more trouble than its worth?
ZeuZ
Regular

Postby DAGGILARR » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:38 am

I would say almost certainly more trouble than its worth, you would be way better off with a cheap second hand Mac, but I would avoid Lion. I have not even considered using VM for anything other than the odd program and for testing out how sites look in Explorer.

My current problem is all because this tiny little program that controls a bit of hardware (Axon AX50) will just not run on Lion.

You can pick up Mac Book pro's for about £600 and Mini's for a bit less with core2duo chips that are fine, just try to get one with a bit of apple care left so you can get anything fixed should it need it.
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster