You are here

Is there a piece of software that does this ?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Is there a piece of software that does this ?

Postby Lizardpoint » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:54 am

Hi Team,

I'm looking for a piece of software that will allow me to trigger sound loops, one shot sounds and video files.

Ideally I can create a playlist with all the files in the order i need them, then manually trigger them at the right time.

It's the sort of thing I'd imagine a stage show might use to play in sound FX.

Is there something out there in music tech land that might do this that's not too pricey?

I looked briefly at Ableton but not sure about the video playback side of things...

Cheers

Lizardpoint
Lizardpoint
Regular

Re: Is there a piece of software that does this ?

Postby Bazza » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:51 am

I'm not sure how fast it would trigger, but Keynote might do what you want. It certainly won't break the bank and is a handy bit of software to own if you don't already.
Bazza
Regular

This time next week, who'll give a sh*t http://www.podcastrevision.co.uk

Postby Lizardpoint » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:10 am

Hi there,
Yes I have this and not a bad idea.
It's a bit hit and miss moving backwards and forwards through the playlist as you sometimes get bursts of sound.
I need to be able to trigger more than one sound at the same time.

i.e I have a background sound effect for example internal airport ambient noise. This plays on a loop of about 5 mins. Then I wanty to be able to trigger other one shot sounds like PA announcements at will while the background sound plays. I know I could arrange it in a DAW but I need to be able to trigger as the performance demands it.
And also playback video clips.

Cheers
Lizardpoint
Lizardpoint
Regular

Postby chris... » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:45 pm

Maybe check out Arkaos VJ.
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby electrotimba » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:03 pm

chris... wrote:Maybe check out Arkaos VJ.

No it is useless for the purpose- no audio, you could rewire but it is buggy outdated, pain to use software. It is also company of shameless cheats and frauds. I bought Arkaos VJ and was their endorser, against will (my knowledge) for 3 years - they have stolen my photos and info from my website, and obviously without my permission misused for their promotion purposes. Anyway lets not talk about this garbage.
Resolume Avenue will do the job well- only VJ app that has full audio (even supports VST).
Edit: You could do simple video+audio with Live but only in linear way- in arranger view and use marker if you need, there is no video in the grid, session view. Its video support is very simple, can work for very elementary stuff.
electrotimba
Regular

Postby SVEA » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:46 pm

Check out this little gem... for the audio side anyway. I've used it in a performance art context and it does exactly what it says on the tin...

Alphabet Soup
SVEA
Poster

Postby dmills » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:33 pm

SFX from stage research or Show Cue System are the usual suspects on PC the theatre with QLab being the usual choice on the Mac (This has a free version that is actually useful for some things).

Any of these are a better fit for this use then more general purpose media players, being designed with a proper cue stack, including wait and follow-on cues.

Regards, Dan.
dmills
Frequent Poster

Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

Postby Lizardpoint » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:05 am

SVEA wrote:Check out this little gem... for the audio side anyway. I've used it in a performance art context and it does exactly what it says on the tin...

Alphabet Soup

Just awesome!!!
Thank you so much for this pointer. Exactly what I need for the audio side of things.
I'll use QuickTime until I can afford Qlab.
Off to order Alphabet Soup now.
Cheers
Lizardpoint
Lizardpoint
Regular

Postby Lizardpoint » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:08 am

Hi Dan,
qlab looks amazing but is out of my league price wise and the free version doesn't do video.
I'm gonna go with alphabet soup for the short term.
It's good to have something to aspire to ;)
Cheers
Lizardpoint
Lizardpoint
Regular

Postby Lizardpoint » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:15 pm

SVEA wrote:Check out this little gem... for the audio side anyway. I've used it in a performance art context and it does exactly what it says on the tin...

Alphabet Soup

I'm confused. Web site says 10.2 or later.
Software says "You can't open the application AlphabetSoup because Power PC applications are no longer supported"

Will this work with Lion or is there a way to make it work?

Cheers

Lizardpoint
Lizardpoint
Regular

Postby electrotimba » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:49 pm

Forgot about audio visual mixer done by very talented artist VJ Fader. There are Pro and Lite versions http://www.neuromixer.com/product-avmixer-lite.php
It is years ago that I tried those so cannot say much more. Perhaps worth knowing that it is not any company just creative artist and programmer , so in case you buy , you directly support talented individual.
electrotimba
Regular

Postby electrotimba » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Lizardpoint wrote:
i.e I have a background sound effect for example internal airport ambient noise. This plays on a loop of about 5 mins. Then I wanty to be able to trigger other one shot sounds like PA announcements at will while the background sound plays. I know I could arrange it in a DAW but I need to be able to trigger as the performance demands it.
And also playback video clips.

I missed that post. Since you dont really need any VJ style FX etc Ableton Live would be my first choice. You can put all the visuals on the timeline-it is just a place not time related - once you put the markers with assign midi you can jump any place. Use session view for the audio and have everything clearly laid out. You can assign everything to keyboard, any midi controller, put stickers and know exactly where is what (using different colour groups - both in software and stickers etc can easily find everything), do entire show without ever using the mouse.
electrotimba
Regular

Postby SVEA » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:41 pm

Lizardpoint wrote:

Alphabet Soup

I'm confused. Web site says 10.2 or later.
Software says "You can't open the application AlphabetSoup because Power PC applications are no longer supported"

Will this work with Lion or is there a way to make it work?

Cheers

Lizardpoint

Well I really don't know about Lion as I'm on Tiger 10.4.11 still, but my macbook is Intel Core2 Duo and defo not Power PC and it works fine for me...
SVEA
Poster

Postby SVEA » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:46 pm

I'm guessing the dmg must be Universal Binary... maybe Lion doesn't support this anymore?
SVEA
Poster

Postby Lizardpoint » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:08 am

Well I really don't know about Lion as I'm on Tiger 10.4.11 still, but my macbook is Intel Core2 Duo and defo not Power PC and it works fine for me...

Just heard back from their tech support people.
The latest OS this will work with is 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
I'll buy an old PPC just to run this as its just what I'm looking for.
Thanks again.

Lizardpoint
Lizardpoint
Regular