You are here

Physical modelling synthesis + Granular synthesis

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Physical modelling synthesis + Granular synthesis

Postby ZeuZ » Sat May 12, 2012 5:32 pm

I've been given a project that needs to include an example of physical modelling synthesis and granular synthesis. I'm even a bit confused about what the terms means as the moment, let alone which synths I have at my disposal that would use it. I have NI Komplete 5 so quite a selection from that, and also every synth that comes bundled with Logic Pro.

Where should I start? and with which synths can do these types of synthesis?

Many thanks,
ZeuZ
Regular

Re: Physical modelling synthesis + Granular synthesis

Postby N WILLIAMS » Sat May 12, 2012 5:42 pm

Have a look at the following for Granular Synthesis:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec05/a ... rkshop.htm

... and have a look at the reviews on this website for the Korg Prophecy and Korg Z1 for Physical Modelling Synthesis.

There is also plenty of in depth info if you use google.
N WILLIAMS
Regular

Postby ZeuZ » Sat May 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Thanks that helps a lot, looks like ive got a few granular synthesis synths. Will probably use Kontakt. In terms of physical modelling I'm going to find this difficult I think with my software, will Reaktor be able to do this for me?
ZeuZ
Regular

Postby Chevytraveller » Sat May 12, 2012 6:00 pm

ZeuZ wrote:Thanks that helps a lot, looks like ive got a few granular synthesis synths. Will probably use Kontakt. In terms of physical modelling I'm going to find this difficult I think with my software, will Reaktor be able to do this for me?

You should already have a physical modelling synth bundled with Logic Pro..

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy,

Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Vostok, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S.. Eurocrack disease

Postby ZeuZ » Sat May 12, 2012 7:02 pm

Chevytraveller wrote:
ZeuZ wrote:Thanks that helps a lot, looks like ive got a few granular synthesis synths. Will probably use Kontakt. In terms of physical modelling I'm going to find this difficult I think with my software, will Reaktor be able to do this for me?

You should already have a physical modelling synth bundled with Logic Pro..

:bouncy:

Which one would you recommend would be best (easiest) to use for a relative Logic noob? I've not learnt a lot of the logic synths very well yet, so would need an easy and not too technically difficult synth to quickly learn.
ZeuZ
Regular

Postby desmond » Sat May 12, 2012 8:07 pm

Physical Modelling is often a "difficult" type of synthesis to get to grips with.

Sculpture is Logic's PM synth, and it's pretty intimidating for new users - however, it has good tutorials in the manuals so if you work through those you'll get enough of an idea to work with it.

Also, the EVD6 clarinet is also a modelled instrument based on similar principles, although this one is targeted at emulating a particular type of string models - however, it might also be one to play with.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby Dave B » Sun May 13, 2012 12:41 pm

How strange! Someone who seems to have internet access that does not include Google???? :headbang:

Seriously, we can help if you need specific technical pointers, but asking for an example of physical modelling and granular synths on a forum is just damned lazy, and will not ultimately help you in any way shape or form if you can't be bothered to look for yourself.

Feel free to ask more questions like this if you like ... but traditionally, people doing so get roasted... ;)
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby SecretSam » Mon May 14, 2012 9:41 am

Applied Acoustics Tassman is an interesting modular physical modelling synth.

How the phuq it works is still beyond me, but the presets sound great ;-)
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby Richie Royale » Mon May 14, 2012 11:29 am

SecretSam wrote:Applied Acoustics Tassman is an interesting modular physical modelling synth.

How the phuq it works is still beyond me, but the presets sound great ;-)

I got a filthy bassline out of that recently. I do think it is a bit of a head scratcher to get started from nothing, but calling up some preset builds and then tweaking as you would on any synth can get you some great results.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby basilfawlty » Mon May 14, 2012 3:05 pm

Check out Max/MSP. There's a great build of a granular synth in there which, if you get behind the scenes and follow the programming through, really teaches you a lot about granulation and its use in synthesis. You can get a 30 day demo for Max for free, or if you are a student you can 'lease' it for 9 months quite cheap. If you're serious about programming and sound design you'll do a lot worse than getting to grips with Max/MSP.

One question, you say you've been 'given a project', hence my assumption that you may be a student. Are you supposed to find out for yourself about granular and modelling synthesis, or have you been taught any of it? Just curious...
basilfawlty
Regular
There are 10 types of people in this world - 9 who understand binary; the rest are like me.

Postby desmond » Mon May 14, 2012 3:36 pm

Hmm - I wouldn't say to someone new to synthesis that they should *start* with Max/MSP... that's a bit hardcore... ( ! )
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby basilfawlty » Mon May 14, 2012 6:31 pm

desmond wrote:Hmm - I wouldn't say to someone new to synthesis that they should *start* with Max/MSP... that's a bit hardcore... ( ! )
True, but perhaps not as hard core as a course specifying that someone obviously new to synthesis should start by teaching themselves about physical modelling and granulation... unless its a hard-core course, in which case I stand by my recommendation...
basilfawlty
Regular
There are 10 types of people in this world - 9 who understand binary; the rest are like me.

Postby Martin Walker » Tue May 15, 2012 1:24 am

+1 for investigating the physically modeled VSTi's from Applied Acoustic Systems (I love 'em ;))

You can find out a lot about their methods in the various SOS reviews of their products, many of which I also wrote :D

Tassman 1.2, with some basic explanation of physical modeling: www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul00/articles/tassman.htm

www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct02/articles ... izzard.asp

Tassman 4 (latest version): www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov04/articles ... mannv4.htm

www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug05/articles ... Studio.htm

www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul06/articles ... analog.htm

www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/articles ... ticgs1.htm

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode