You are here

Macbook vs iPad

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Macbook vs iPad

Postby JamesOrange93 » Wed May 16, 2012 12:04 am

I'm looking at buying something that has lots of portability, but at the same time to be of use to me.

I will buy both in the end, but its more of a question of which to buy first...

I will be using either for doing some light word processing, a little bit of recording and controlling of DAWs and some web design stuff thrown in there :)

I already have an iMac to do all of the heavy work and it is my main recording station. It is just the portability that I need, and like I said, I will be buying both, I just need some advice as to which one to buy first

:lol:

Cheers
JamesOrange93
Poster

Re: Macbook vs iPad

Postby Blott » Wed May 16, 2012 1:00 am

The MacBook in my opinion.
iPads are more for consumption than creation and as good as they are, they are no replacement for a laptop!
If as you say you are looking to do web design stuff, the MacBook is definitely the one to go for first.
Blott
Regular

Postby Bob Bickerton » Wed May 16, 2012 1:03 am

Much as I love my iPad, I'm picking you'd be better off with the MacBook for your requirements.

When you say web design, are you talking online or using an application? Either way it's easier to have resources available on the MacBook and upload them either via the online app or using something like Transmit.

Likewise I find word processing a little clunky on the iPad relative to the MacBook, but this is related to the level of sophistication you require. Same with recording.

Remember a MacBook will do everything an iPad will do, but an iPad will not do everything a MacBook will do.

New slimmer profile MacBooks probably coming out next month.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby Kaw-Liga » Wed May 16, 2012 6:55 am

have you tried writing on an ipad and on a macbook? I have, and I wouldn't use the iPad for writing more than half a page of text. Macbook Air or Macbook Pro, though? Or a Windows pc?

But for remote controlling a DAW, I would buy the iPad. Is it even possible, using a macbook? Being able to keep the fingers on the faders is important.
Kaw-Liga
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed May 16, 2012 8:00 am

As has been said it's all about consumption v. production of content. Tablets are great at consuming content but with the best will in the world when it comes to creation they are clunky and inconvenient and a collection of compromises. "Real" computers do consumption but they are way better at creation than tablets. Best situation is to have both but if you can only spring for one, get the laptop.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Frequent Poster

Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio.  Water down the gin and let reality in.

Postby oktafish » Wed May 16, 2012 10:23 am

Most definitely a macbook, for a start you`re not tied down to iOS and can run apps other than the ones from APP store as well as being able to install different OS`s should you ever need to. iPad is a fantastic add on to your main computer. A real keyboard is nice + expandability. It`s just way more versatile.
oktafish
Regular

Postby G-Doubleyou » Wed May 16, 2012 1:31 pm

I have both, the ipad is a great compliment to the Macbook.

I use the iPad for a control surface, and external instruments that I record in logic.

8-)
G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Postby s_e_a_n » Wed May 16, 2012 8:29 pm

I've always had a laptop and a desktop - now I have an iPad and a desktop. The iPad is probably useless for creating websites and any heavy duty word processing etc but for sending emails, surfing the web, controlling daws, sketching songs, recording sessions and loads of other stuff it's perfect. It's also so much easier to throw in a bag and bring with. I also have an iphone which will do a lot of what the ipad does - but the form factor of the ipad is perfect. I also do a LOT of reading on the ipad - novels and manuals.
s_e_a_n
Poster

iMac 27", DP 7.2, Melodyne CRE8, Motu 828mk2