You are here

Mac mini with Lion Server for Music Production

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Mac mini with Lion Server for Music Production

Postby Athanasios C. Paschalis » Fri May 18, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi all

I am thinking of buying an Apple Mac mini with Lion Server . I am planning to use it for Music Production mainly with Cubase and perhaps with Logic.

Has anyone used it for Music Production? Features seem OK but I would like some words from the battlefield...

Anyone?

Thanks
Athanasios C. Paschalis
Regular

Re: Mac mini with Lion Server for Music Production

Postby Phil O » Fri May 18, 2012 2:48 pm

If I may 'piggy-back' the thread, I'd be interested to hear how difficult it is to set-up the server for internet use as well as music production?
Phil O
Frequent Poster

Postby benniferj » Thu May 24, 2012 8:51 am

Yes. I have a Mini Server i7 hooked up to a few screens and a Yamaha 02r96. It's fast, it doesn't glitch out, it deals with everything I throw at it. Rock solid and nice n quiet too! Just like any normal system really and no problem dealing with an M-Audio lightbridge over Firewire.

Networking wise its a bit weird though as have had a few issues doing basic filesharing... it's like a normal Lion system but with another layer of settings to content with as well. So spend a bit of time setting that up right and it's perfect.

Only other thing to note would be for editing in Final Cut it's sometimes a bit funny when editing high quality HD footage as it doesn't have a dedicated proper GPU so occasionally drops frames even on rendered footage.

All I want now is some good breakout kit to work over thunderbolt... like say 4 FW800 ports or something!
benniferj
Regular

Postby Tui » Thu May 24, 2012 9:28 am

benniferj wrote:

Networking wise its a bit weird though as have had a few issues doing basic filesharing... it's like a normal Lion system but with another layer of settings to content with as well. So spend a bit of time setting that up right and it's perfect.

I was wondering about that. Would it be possible to install regular Lion on the server? Also, is it possible to boot from an external USB or FW drive that has 10.6 installed?
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby G-Doubleyou » Thu May 24, 2012 1:29 pm

Tui wrote:
benniferj wrote:

I was wondering about that. Would it be possible to install regular Lion on the server? Also, is it possible to boot from an external USB or FW drive that has 10.6 installed?

I do recall that there is a hack for installing older versions of OSX, Bing it!

The OSX server version just adds server functions, that never come into play, unless you activate them.

G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Postby Tui » Thu May 24, 2012 1:37 pm

G-Doubleyou wrote:

I do recall that there is a hack for installing older versions of OSX, Bing it!

That wasn't my question.
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Thu May 24, 2012 2:11 pm

I don't see any reason why you couldn't use it with normal Lion or boot from a FW drive.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2465599?start=225&tstart=0
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Lukas Pearse » Thu May 24, 2012 3:09 pm

I'm using the mac mini but NOT the server, but rather I upgraded to an i7 processor and an SSHD; it works really well, is really quiet and has much better graphics than the server model, so it can handle video just fine.

I'm not sure what the server would be better for, except that it's quad core, but lower GHz. Do you need to use it as a server?
Lukas Pearse
Poster

Postby Pinestreet » Thu May 24, 2012 3:50 pm

you "shouldn't" buy a mac mini right now if you believe the mac rumours site. It's expecting a new release shortly...

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
Pinestreet
Regular

Postby mosso » Fri May 25, 2012 11:45 am

I'm using the Mini Server. The "server" aspect of Lion is just an app anyway so it's not hard to turn off. After that it's just the same as plain old Lion (although the file sharing settings are a bit more in-depth). You can't install a prior OS on it without a significant performance hit (I ended up waiting until all my plugs were Lion-ready before buying).

The advantage of the Server over the top spec "normal" Mini is the better processor (which benches just below the base Mac Pro) and an extra hard drive (invaluable for audio work of course!). This extra hard drive essentially replaces the discrete graphics card in the top spec "normal" Mini, so not great for video work.

My experience with the machine has been excellent (I've been using it for over 6 months). The fans spin a little faster than the normal Mini (2300rpm compared to 2000rpm) but I can't hear the difference from where I sit.

I tend to agree that it will get a refresh soon so hang on for the new model if you can.
mosso
Poster

Postby Binks » Fri May 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi, I too am running a mini with lion (not the server version)

Id upgraded to an intel mini from a G5 PPC power mac, and the increase I found was excellent (Im not even using one of the last batch of intels either)
Lion works great, though the only issues Ive had have been with protools/reason setup, which I never had using tiger on the G5. Just be sure that everything will run on what ever you end up putting on it. (I also have logic express 8, and though it doesnt get used much, it does appear to work fully, and some of the issues I have with pro tools, dont appear using logic)

Just my pennys worth..
Binks
Poster

Postby Athanasios C. Paschalis » Sun May 27, 2012 10:22 am

Thanks everyone for your replies! Really useful! There is a possibility that the Mac mini with Lion Server model won't get an upgrade on June since it is a rather recent model but the advice of waiting till the San Francisco event is correct.
Athanasios C. Paschalis
Regular

Postby composerm23 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:01 pm

WARNING: I purchased a 2011 mac mini server only to discover that a considerable number of popular music composition software programs will not function with Lion server -- e.g., Finale, Garritan Personal Orchestra, MOTU Symphonic Instruments, as confirmed by MakeMusic and MOTU. After checking with Apple techs, I discovered that non-server version of Lion will not work; and "shutting off" server elements will not alleviate the problem, either.
composerm23
New here

Postby Mr Spanky » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:58 am

That's not true. I run a mac mini server 2011 with the regular version of Lion just fine.
Mr Spanky
Regular

Postby Fen_Tigger » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:56 am

Pinestreet wrote:you "shouldn't" buy a mac mini right now if you believe the mac rumours site. It's expecting a new release shortly...

Yes, but it *may* loose the Firewire port...
Fen_Tigger
Poster
"Playing the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order"

Postby composerm23 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:54 pm

Mr Spanky wrote:That's not true. I run a mac mini server 2011 with the regular version of Lion just fine.

How do you load a regular version of Lion into the mac mini server? Apple Care says it can't be done.
composerm23
New here

Postby Thomas. » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:15 pm

composerm23 wrote:
Mr Spanky wrote:That's not true. I run a mac mini server 2011 with the regular version of Lion just fine.

How do you load a regular version of Lion into the mac mini server? Apple Care says it can't be done.

You could buy Lion on a thumb drive http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD256Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MTM3NDgwODM When you boot, use Disk Utilities to wipe the drives and set up a RAID, and then install as normal.
Thomas.
Regular

Postby composerm23 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:26 pm

You could buy Lion on a thumb drive http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD256Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MTM3NDgwODM When you boot, use Disk Utilities to wipe the drives and set up a RAID, and then install as normal. [/quote]

I had already asked the techs at Apple Care about doing that. They said it won't work.
composerm23
New here

Postby Thomas. » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:07 pm

composerm23 wrote:You could buy Lion on a thumb drive http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD256Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MTM3NDgwODM When you boot, use Disk Utilities to wipe the drives and set up a RAID, and then install as normal.

I had already asked the techs at Apple Care about doing that. They said it won't work. [/quote]

Then, with respect, they are idiots. It's just a computer. You could even try this, from Apple's own Support site:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4827?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
Thomas.
Regular

Postby Thomas. » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:10 pm

Fen_Tigger wrote:
Pinestreet wrote:you "shouldn't" buy a mac mini right now if you believe the mac rumours site. It's expecting a new release shortly...

Yes, but it *may* loose the Firewire port...

But it *will* gain a Thunderbolt port, to which you can connect a FW adapter (when Apple gets its act together), or connect an Apple Cinema Screen, which has a FW port in it.
Thomas.
Regular

Postby composerm23 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:41 pm

Then, with respect, they are idiots. It's just a computer. You could even try this, from Apple's own Support site:

They may be idiots, but I tried turning off all server functions and removed the server app altogether -- and it still won't load my Finale software.
composerm23
New here