You are here

Logic Pro 9: Naming regions by tracks name... by default?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic Pro 9: Naming regions by tracks name... by default?

Postby stratquebec » Fri May 25, 2012 5:54 pm

Is that possible to have Logic to name audio region by track name, by default?

Thanks !
stratquebec
Regular

Re: Logic Pro 9: Naming regions by tracks name... by default?

Postby stratquebec » Mon May 28, 2012 2:26 am

Really no way ? Anyone? Desmond, any idea?

Thanks in advance!
stratquebec
Regular

Postby desmond » Mon May 28, 2012 6:55 am

stratquebec wrote:Is that possible to have Logic to name audio region by track name, by default?

Yes, just name your track first (Track -> Create Trackname) - then all recordings on that track will automatically name the region after the track name.

There's also the "Name regions by Tracks/Channel Strips" command in the Regions menu if you need to do it after the fact.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Dec 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby stratquebec » Mon May 28, 2012 10:34 pm

Thanks Desmond. You make me realize that my question is in fact this:
Is there a way that the region's name is automaticaly updated to the new name when I change a track name, that is without having to call the "Name regions by Tracks/Channel Strips" command ? I would like to see this process automatic.
stratquebec
Regular

Postby desmond » Tue May 29, 2012 8:45 am

stratquebec wrote:Is there a way that the region's name is automaticaly updated to the new name when I change a track name, that is without having to call the "Name regions by Tracks/Channel Strips" command ? I would like to see this process automatic.

I don't think so, from memory.

It sounds like a bit of an OCD thing, but probably the best you can do if it really bothers you is to assign the "Name regions by..." key command to a function key.

Then all you have to do occasionally while working is click a track (which selects all regions on it and bang your F1 key (or whatever).

I can't imagine you are continually renaming the same tracks - I suspect that the real cause of this is not knowing what you want to call a track until you've brought up a sound and /or made some recordings to it - therefore regions are being named by default. In this case, once you've decided on a name, a quick key command to rename all the existing recorded regions is all it takes, and new ones should be automatically named from then on.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Dec 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby stratquebec » Tue May 29, 2012 11:08 pm

desmond wrote:...I can't imagine you are continually renaming the same tracks...
No, indeed Desmond!

Well I solve my problem by setting up a template in which all tracks are already named instead of starting from an empty arrange window, adding tracks keeping their default and later give them their appropriate name. Life's easier now!

Thanks for your help.
stratquebec
Regular