You are here

Recording a self-vocal - can you punch in and out on the fly?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Recording a self-vocal - can you punch in and out on the fly?

Postby Jay Menon » Wed May 30, 2012 10:08 am

I'm new to both Mac and Logic - so my apologies if this is dead basic...

When I've recorded my own vocals (on an old Roland VS2480) I've always used a little footswitch to punch in and out, if I need to re-do a vocal line. Would someone please advise me as to how would I do this with an iMac running Logic Studio?

Grateful for all advice...
Jay Menon
Frequent Poster

Re: Recording a self-vocal - can you punch in and out on the fly?

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed May 30, 2012 11:07 am

Manual (or pedal :-) "Punch In" is an obsolete concept. Any modern DAW lets you set the point where recording will start, and lets you pre-roll from as far back as you like. There's no need to set the point accurately, the new recording doesn't destroy the old one underneath it! In fact, you SHOULDN'T try to set it too precisely - much better to trim afterwards than to miss the attack!

If you want to be even more clever, set up a new track to record to - they're free! You can easily mute sections of the existing tracks so that you can monitor exactly what you want to hear.

You can even set up a loop, allowing multiple attempts at the drop in. Keep the last one, or choose to stack them all up for subsequent selection an trimming. And always remember, you CAN trim! Set the In point a bit early, the Out point a bit late - you can now concentrate on your performance rather than on punch-in technique.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby desmond » Wed May 30, 2012 11:45 am

Agree with all the above.

Note that you can do manual punches, and set up, for example, a MIDI event to trigger dropping in and out of record. Make sure "Punch on the fly" is enabled in Logic - this requires a little overhead (in effect, Logic is always recording to the active track even when in playback) in order to get seamless punches (this is actually more tricky to do in the DAW world than in the hardware world).
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Nov 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby Jay Menon » Thu May 31, 2012 6:44 am

Thanks guys, that was very educational - and surprisingly simple, as most things tend to be - once pointed out...!

Regards
JM
Jay Menon
Frequent Poster

Postby Gone To Lunch » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:44 pm

Or you could employ a recent music tech graduate to help you !

There may still be one or two out there who haven't been snapped up yet by eager employers.....
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:02 pm

Gone To Lunch wrote:Or you could employ a recent music tech graduate to help you !

There may still be one or two out there who haven't been snapped up yet by eager employers.....

Careful. They'll discuss the project exhaustively, f*** up the job completely, then write an essay making excuses. And expect a pass mark for it, because no-one must fail anything these days.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby zenguitar » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:
Gone To Lunch wrote:Or you could employ a recent music tech graduate to help you !

Careful. They'll discuss the project exhaustively, f*** up the job completely, then write an essay making excuses. And expect a pass mark for it, because no-one must fail anything these days.

And then they'll post on the SOS forums asking how to do it and someone will refer them to this thread

Andy
zenguitar

Largely, but not entirely, dysfunctional.