You are here

iTunes + AAC + Text info

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

iTunes + AAC + Text info

Postby C.LYDE » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:04 pm

Being from a country which is specifically prohibited from the the iTunes music store, I cannot test this for myself.
Does an album/track originating from iTunes contain more text info than one would obtain from doing a CD rip and only getting the usual artist, title, album name info?

I saw a long time ago mention made of 'enhanced' albums - other than more artwork was/is liner info contained as well?
C.LYDE
Regular

Re: iTunes + AAC + Text info

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:17 pm

I can't comment on what appears with a download, having never bought anything from iTunes. I buy CDs and rip them and I have found that Gracenote sometimes provides details such as the writers names, but I've not encountered any that give sleeve note information.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby C.LYDE » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:45 am

Thanks Richie,

This is typically what happens, agreed, even via Wavelab or MS Player. I'm keen to know if iTunes has upped the ante though - seeing that they are the biggest online store (possibly).

Personally the one thing I would love to see develop within the MP3 std is the ability to add more info e.g. musician credit per track
C.LYDE
Regular

Postby Richie Royale » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:17 pm

I'm not that au fait with MP3s or AACs, but I do find that there are a few sections in iTunes that allow comments. I have some mixes with multiple tracks and I find the lyrics section a good place to host that info. I'm pretty sure that there is also space for more info on the 'artist, title, album' info screen.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby ken long » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:32 pm

C.LYDE wrote:
Personally the one thing I would love to see develop within the MP3 std is the ability to add more info e.g. musician credit per track

1. Select Track in iTunes
2. Right-click > Get Info
3. Populate fields with metadata (including artwork)
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby C.LYDE » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:39 am

ken long wrote:
C.LYDE wrote:

1. Select Track in iTunes
2. Right-click > Get Info
3. Populate fields with metadata (including artwork)

Thanks - you're missing my point. I know that it can be done manually by me or any end user who rips their own CDs. What I'm trying to establish if digital stores (iTunes) are doing this as part of an improved "experience"? Seeing that I remember some hype being made about 'enhanced' album formats..?
C.LYDE
Regular

Postby ken long » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:42 am

Ah. Apologies.
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby Thomas. » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:38 am

No, you don't get any info "pre-loaded" in the fields (I agree, it's a shame). Some albums come with a PDF of the sleeve insert, if you buy the whole thing at once.
Thomas.
Regular