You are here

Logic - can you teach me?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic - can you teach me?

Postby nerdle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:48 am

I want to learn Logic Pro and I'm looking for a teacher. Skype works well for teaching so you don't have to live nearby.

Hoping to hear from you soon.
nerdle
Regular
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:00 am

Re: Logic - can you teach me?

Postby Fen_Tigger » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:42 am

Start off with Garageband, spend a few quid on a couple of books from Amazon, check out stuff on YouTube, post on forums when you hit a brick wall and maybe try to explain what's in it for someone else to spare you the time. I think you need to improve your sales pitch.
Fen_Tigger
Poster
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:00 am
"Playing the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order"

Re: Logic - can you teach me?

Postby nerdle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:08 pm

I pay £20 per hour.

Hoping to find someone.
nerdle
Regular
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:00 am

Re: Logic - can you teach me?

Postby RegressiveRock » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Contact Eddie at www.samplecraze.com and see if he is interested in that rate.
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1509
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: Buntingford, Herts

Re: Logic - can you teach me?

Postby Tartaruga » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:05 pm

Start by reading the manual…’RTFM’…?
It’s a good start,and there’s lot of information about what you can and what you can’t do with it.
BTW,I’m a newbie too and managed to use it everyday…
Good Luck for your projects!
Cheers!
Tartaruga
Regular
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: Logic - can you teach me?

Postby Richie Royale » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:14 pm

I think you are better off staying with Cubase as you have been using that for sometime now and Logic doesn't offer anything significantly different to Cubase. You will have to learn it all from scratch, although you will find many similarities in them.
User avatar
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4441
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Bristol, England.

Re: Logic - can you teach me?

Postby The Elf » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:29 pm

Richie Royale wrote:I think you are better off staying with Cubase
+1 Why have you suddenly decided to begin the learning process all over again?!
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9983
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2001 11:00 pm
Location: Sheffield, UK

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.


Re: Logic - can you teach me?

Postby nerdle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:56 pm

Hey you remembered me!
It took a long time to find the wonderful James Mulvale so thought I'd get an early start! I may swing back to Cubase but I've arrived at a stumbling block in that Cubase doesn't have loops. I'm not a musician.

However - I may well stick with Cubase now as I find (fresh back from Apple Centre in Southampton) audio autotune not so great and no Tango drum loop (for example) - loops galore but drums have strange names...

James doesn't have V6 and could still help with a lot but I need to get them loops in - currently hoping to raid midi loops from 'band in a box' but previous post about that yeilded nothing.

Thanks to all who responded.
nerdle
Regular
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:00 am

Re: Logic - can you teach me?

Postby Exalted Wombat » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:26 pm

nerdle wrote:currently hoping to raid midi loops from 'band in a box' but previous post about that yeilded nothing.

What did you need to know? Set up a pattern in BiaB, export a MIDI file, drop it into Cubase.

Cubase doesn't actually do independent looping, but it's trivial to emulate it by any of several methods of copying a segment as many times as required.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5652
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am
Location: London UK

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.


Re: Logic - can you teach me?

Postby The Elf » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:08 pm

nerdle wrote:I've arrived at a stumbling block in that Cubase doesn't have loops. I'm not a musician.
What do you mean by 'doesn't have loops'?

Import a bar of drums into Cubase and repeat it 99 times... bingo - a 'loop'! Cubase will let you tempo-match, slice, quantise and otherwise manipulate a loop. The audio browser will even tempo-match loops while you audition them.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9983
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2001 11:00 pm
Location: Sheffield, UK

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.


Re: Logic - can you teach me?

Postby Zukan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:50 pm

Yo nerdle, sup?

Image
User avatar
Zukan
Moderator
Posts: 6210
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:00 pm

Samplecraze   Stretch That Note Masterclasses


Re: Logic - can you teach me?

Postby nerdle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:19 pm

Hello Mr Elf and thank you for your response (as always)...
Import from where?

I'm told there are zillions of free ones on the internet - even in a lesson with a teacher I couldn't do it.

A Tango drum track would be good - with some fills etc etc
nerdle
Regular
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:00 am

Re: Logic - can you teach me?

Postby Exalted Wombat » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:34 pm

You've got Band in a Box? Choose the Tango style. Set up some a and b markers so you get all the possible fills as well as some bars of plain a and b. Turn off all instruments except Drums, send a MID file to Cubase. Chop it up and "loop" as you wish.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5652
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am
Location: London UK

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.


Re: Logic - can you teach me?

Postby Exalted Wombat » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:43 pm

>Skiving off work for a year to try composing - I'll need some good luck.....

Well, yes you will, if you don't know music and you arent too quick with computers :-) But good luck!

I'll find you the odd hour on Skype for £20! I'm not THAT busy with other work, and I'm not too proud to admit it :-)

You'll have to stick to Cubase and tolerate my PC. And my complete lack of interest in the loops-and-samples sort of music. I know how to work Cubase though!
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5652
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am
Location: London UK

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.


Re: Logic - can you teach me?

Postby nerdle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:53 pm

Thank you Wombat - PM'd you - not sure you saw it.
nerdle
Regular
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:00 am

In conclusion

Postby nerdle » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:41 am

No longer having to drop Cubase in favour of Logic. Lots of Mac snobbery around I find. Mike McMenemy at the Apple store wonderful yesterday showing all logic pros and cons - a few more cons than I thought.

Knight in Shining Armour upon his Skypy Steed (Mr Wombat) rescued this damsel and showed her the way forward via Band in a Box midi files and how to copy then into Cubase.

Happy!



...until I get stuck the next time.
nerdle
Regular
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:00 am

Re: Logic - can you teach me?

Postby Richie Royale » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:55 am

Good. You are better off sticking with one thing and really learning it.
User avatar
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4441
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Bristol, England.

Re: In conclusion

Postby Exalted Wombat » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:06 pm

nerdle wrote:No longer having to drop Cubase in favour of Logic. Lots of Mac snobbery around I find. Mike McMenemy at the Apple store wonderful yesterday showing all logic pros and cons - a few more cons than I thought.

Knight in Shining Armour upon his Skypy Steed (Mr Wombat) rescued this damsel and showed her the way forward via Band in a Box midi files and how to copy then into Cubase.

Happy!

...until I get stuck the next time.

She's more of a musician than she likes to admit. Should be using BiaB etc. to help her analyse the drum patterns for various styles, then writing her own from scratch.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5652
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am
Location: London UK

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.


Re: In conclusion

Postby daedalus » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:05 pm

Nothing useful to post: just wanted to mention that I really like the fact that people on this forum are being so helpful.

And yes, while I'm a logic user myself, I'd advise with sticking to something and thoroughly learning it. Then go and have some fun with other tools.
daedalus
Regular
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:00 am
Location: LA

Just a piano and some sketch paper please...


Re: In conclusion

Postby desmond » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:21 pm

nerdle wrote:No longer having to drop Cubase in favour of Logic. Lots of Mac snobbery around I find. Mike McMenemy at the Apple store wonderful yesterday showing all logic pros and cons - a few more cons than I thought.


Out of interest, what were the Logic "cons" that the Apple Store showed you?

But yes, ultimately, the tools don't really matter, it's the result that matters. At this level, generally speaking, all the tools are equally as good until you start getting into nit-picky things (which can of course be very important for some folks).
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6567
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 am

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: SOS Apr 87
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...


Re: In conclusion

Postby Exalted Wombat » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:22 pm

desmond wrote:Out of interest, what were the Logic "cons" that the Apple Store showed you?

Having to buy an entire new computer? :-) At least they were honest.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5652
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am
Location: London UK

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.


Re: In conclusion

Postby desmond » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:13 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:Having to buy an entire new computer? :-) At least they were honest.

Don't you start...

User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6567
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 am

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: SOS Apr 87
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...


Re: In conclusion

Postby Bossman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:01 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:
desmond wrote:Out of interest, what were the Logic "cons" that the Apple Store showed you?

Having to buy an entire new computer? :-) At least they were honest.

buy a new computer?.. well only if you don't already have a mac.. the same as if you don't already have a PC and you want to use Sonar (or some other PC only program).. I don't really get your point
User avatar
Bossman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 707
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: UK

more Logic stuff

Postby nerdle » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:43 pm

The cons were... no autotune - need it with a voice like mine, the loops were good but all designed to make 'instant composers' out of 'have a go' people. They might have been good but the drums didn't have proper names to describe them - couldn't find 'tango' for example. Band in a Box will do for now. Best to leave loops alone until happy with strong composition - then adopt, adapt and improve (sounds like the Round Table motto)!

Great plus is for £80 (and buying a mac+software) unlimited tuition for a year. The guys in there are so motivated and eager to help - refereshingly good quality customer service.

If I could go back in time I'd get a mac (after 12 years in photography) - but I'll stick with Cubase and hope it won't seem like such a foreign language one day soon.
nerdle
Regular
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:00 am

Re: more Logic stuff

Postby desmond » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:31 pm

nerdle wrote:The cons were... no autotune - need it with a voice like mine

Well that's incorrect, Logic does have an auto tuning plugin that's almost an exact duplicate of Autotune.

One of the problems with Apple Geniuses is that many of them think they actually are. There's been more than a few times I've been stuck in the genius queue, probably trying to replace my defective batteries or optical drives for the fifth time, listening to a guy consulting with an Apple Genius about Logic, and my temptation has been to kind of say "Uh, dude, no. *Here's how to fix your problem, don't listen to the Apple guy, he's clearly winging it..." but instead I bite my tongue and try to ignore it.

nerdle wrote:the loops were good but all designed to make 'instant composers' out of 'have a go' people.

Well, loop content is loop content. I don't personally have a use for it in general, although I might through some things in sometimes. How you use it or not) is up to you. And Logic comes with more loop content than pretty much all other software.

nerdle wrote:They might have been good but the drums didn't have proper names to describe them - couldn't find 'tango' for example. Band in a Box will do for now. Best to leave loops alone until happy with strong composition - then adopt, adapt and improve (sounds like the Round Table motto)!

Indeed. Rather than using canned stuff, you should really learn what makes a "tango" a "tango", and be able to compose in that style. Your ears, brain and hands are the correct tools for this.

But if Band in a Box does it for you and you need that kind of help, you're probably not ready to compose from scratch yet - and I'd suggest spending a lot of time learning and making music before thinking of trying to earn a living from it just yet. At the same time, you might also be fantastically talented and be already making brilliant music in your own way, so who knows..?

So much for the cons in Logic, then, eh?
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6567
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 am

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: SOS Apr 87
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...


Re: more Logic stuff

Postby Dishpan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:56 pm

> Indeed. Rather than using canned stuff, you should really learn what makes a "tango" a "tango", and be able to compose in that style. Your ears, brain and hands are the correct tools for this.

+1 to that Desmond.

You'll probably surprise yourself how you take to it and you'll be making your own patterns in no time.
Dishpan
Regular
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:00 pm

thanks

Postby nerdle » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:46 am

I'm grateful to those who stepped in to genuinely help.
nerdle
Regular
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:00 am

Re: more Logic stuff

Postby chris... » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:06 pm

desmond wrote:
nerdle wrote:The cons were... no autotune - need it with a voice like mine

Well that's incorrect, Logic does have an auto tuning plugin that's almost an exact duplicate of Autotune.
And of course, even if it didn't come with this, you can certainly buy Autotune and use it with Logic.
User avatar
chris...
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2708
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Sunny Glasgow


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests