You are here

Mainstage: aggregate device to provide click to drummer

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Mainstage: aggregate device to provide click to drummer

Postby arkieboy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:53 pm

Hi

For some of our songs we play along with pre-recorded parts/cues. I have been using an old VS1824 but we have a gig abroad which means flying there, so I would like to use a laptop instead. I have a decent stereo interface that's more than good enough for the FoH: I wondered if I could configure an aggregate device so I can use the headphone output to provide a click+mix for the drummer? He would plug this into his in-ear monitor mixer so levels wouldn't be an issue. The audio host would be Logic Mainstage.

Anyone use this setup and have any experience? Glitching? Time shifts?

Steve
arkieboy
Regular

Re: Mainstage: aggregate device to provide click to drummer

Postby desmond » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:25 pm

You can, yes, but the results of aggregate devices depends in my experience on the drivers of the hardware you're using - some are rock solid, some get flaky.

You should do some testing to check performance and reliability with your hardware, but better still is to get a multi-output interface if this is for a live system - in general, the simpler the better, the more complex the more prone to issues.

Give it a try and let us know how it works for you.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Dec 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Re: Mainstage: aggregate device to provide click to drummer

Postby JPHogg » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:42 am

Could you just send Left to FOH and Right to drummer for click? Would be an easy solution as long as you don't mind mono going to FOH.
JPHogg
Regular

Logic Pro X, iMac 2.7 quadcore i5, 8gb ram, MOTU 16a, ADA8200, Ghost 24 le