You are here

Logic Score

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic Score

Postby Bazza » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:03 pm

I haven't really used Logic's score facility, but I'd quite like to put together a little song book for kids.

I only really need the main melody notation with lyrics and chord diagrams that I can the print to PDF/Word/pages.

Is there a simple way of doing this or any idiot proof tutorials?

Regards

Bazza
Bazza
Regular

This time next week, who'll give a sh*t http://www.podcastrevision.co.uk

Re: Logic Score

Postby daedalus » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:25 pm

Since nobody's answered yet, I'll just tell you how I got on: the manual within logic is a really great resource; it was all I needed to get started with editing scores, so start there. While I think your endeavor is achievable in logic, I wouldn't bet on it being the best tool for the job. Have you considered using a dedicated notation program, such as Encore/Notion/Sibelius/Finale? The first two are quite easy to learn and not terribly expensive, unlike the latter two options.
daedalus
Regular

Just a piano and some sketch paper please...

Postby Bazza » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:03 am

Thanks for that. I did wonder about Logic being the best tool for the job. I'll check the others you mentioned.

Thanks again.

Bazza
Bazza
Regular

This time next week, who'll give a sh*t http://www.podcastrevision.co.uk

Postby Tui » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:11 am

TBH, I have Sibelius First, which, in theory, should be a capable programme. However, after messing around with it for hours I decided I get more done in less time with Logic. Once you know your way around (the manual is your friend), Logic is a pretty cool and *logical* alternative.
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby daedalus » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:30 pm

Tui wrote:TBH, I have Sibelius First, which, in theory, should be a capable programme. However, after messing around with it for hours I decided I get more done in less time with Logic. Once you know your way around (the manual is your friend), Logic is a pretty cool and *logical* alternative.

I actually agree. Logic can be pretty straight forward and 'logical' once you know the way it works and understand its limitations. It's a sequencer first, a notation editor second.

For an actual published product I would definitely go the route of a dedicated notation program. Actually, I did that, several years ago. Logic's finished product just doesn't have that polished and professional look one should go for in a publication.

Of the programs I mention in the above post, my favorite for ease of use (and scores that aren't complex) is Encore. I used it many years ago but it seems to not have changed much. Notion, which I just upgraded to version 4, takes about 15 minutes to get a grasp of and looks really nice on paper. Sibelius is great for more modern classical scores with unusual techniques, although Finale shines in this regard. Oddly, Finale is the only one I never got on with. Far too complicated for me.
daedalus
Regular

Just a piano and some sketch paper please...