You are here

Warning: Mountain Lion won't boot in 32 bit!

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Warning: Mountain Lion won't boot in 32 bit!

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:35 pm

Just thought I'd let you know this in case, like me, you have an interface that only talks to your mac when it's running the Kernel at 32 bit (my old tascam fw1804). And if you upgrade to mountain lion you won't be able to boot the mac at 32 bit as I do at the mo. Just discovered this on the apple forum accidentally when I was on the very cusp of moving from Lion to ML! Which would instantly have made my interface redundant. Eeeek!

Here's one of the apple threads for example: Apple forum
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster

A goal without a plan is just a wish

Re: Warning: Mountain Lion won't boot in 32 bit!

Postby desmond » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:19 pm

Yep, if you run the kernel in 64-bit, you must have 64-bit drivers for all your hardware, otherwise it won't work.

ML removes the option to boot the kernel into 32-bit, so any hardware you have that doesn't have 64-bit drivers will be redundant.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: E&MM Jan 84
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Nearly a very grumpy Mr Longjohns there! £15 for Mountain Lion, £500 to use it for music!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster

A goal without a plan is just a wish

Postby Kaw-Liga » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:40 am

Oh! I can't believe it not to be so, but just to be sure: logic still has the 32-bit plugin bridge working in ML, right?
Kaw-Liga
Regular

Postby desmond » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:32 am

Kaw-Liga wrote:Oh! I can't believe it not to be so, but just to be sure: logic still has the 32-bit plugin bridge working in ML, right?

Kernel mode hardware drivers have nothing to do with whether apps run in 32-bit or 64-bit mode. ML can run either without problems, Logic hasn't changed in any way.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: E&MM Jan 84
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby Happyandbored » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:36 pm

Yeah, I got caught out by this a while back too. I've since sold my FW1884 and replaced it with a secondhand Mackie Control and Motu interface. Think I'll avoid Tascam in future - Motu have far older interfaces which they have provided 64 bit drivers to; Once they've got your cash, Tascam don't seem too keen on maintaining their reputation these days.

If you can get hold of Developer's Preview 1 of Mountain Lion from 'somewhere', it will let you downgrade to it without having to reinstall from scratch. The 32 bit kernel option was still left in this version and it works reasonably well, though there are a fair few differences - features from the release version not present (e.g., voice recognition) and the odd bug. It will at least get you back up and running in the short term. It will then let you upgrade to regular mountain lion in the future, once you've replaced your gear. (Ironically, it was the fact that I'd read that it worked with DP1 and somehow missed the reports of 32 bit support being removed in later versions that led to me making the mistake in the first place...)
Happyandbored
Poster