You are here

April 2006 MB Pro - Worth refurbishing?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

April 2006 MB Pro - Worth refurbishing?

Postby GPLaudio » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:25 am

I recently acquired a donated Macbook Pro, 17", circa April 2006. It has 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB RAM (capable of 2GB). It needs a new battery, more RAM and power cord. I think the 100 GB HD is bad. My plan would be to use to it in a fixed location live sound setting mostly as a track library and Internet access. Would likely use SoundCue or SoundByte software. It would not be used for recording or video.

QUESTION - Is this 2006 MBP worth spending a few hundred dollars for the above intended use?
- New HD (possibly solid state)
- Two GB memory
- New battery and power cord.

I have several other Apple computers but all are much newer than this 2006 laptop.

Thanks for any guidance.
Dave
GPLaudio
Poster

Re: April 2006 MB Pro - Worth refurbishing?

Postby Kaw-Liga » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:46 am

I don't know what you mean by track library, but I've used my late 2006 macbook (not pro!) for everything since I bought it. I've used it on logic, pro tools, and for all other tasks. It runs the demo-sessions included in logic 9, which are the largest sessions i've opened. It can't handle very many large cpu-hungry soft-synths at the same time, especially in pro tools, but for the way you intend to use it, it should perform effortlessly. I'd upgrade.
Kaw-Liga
Regular

Postby oktafish » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:22 am

I recently replaced the internal HD with an SSD in a 2006 MBP (3GB RAM) and have found myself with a very capable machine, Logic etc. Definitely worth investing a couple of hundred bucks...
oktafish
Regular

Postby Magic Matt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Adding an SSD to any old machine gives it a lot more power. I've brought an old Windows XP machine that has a single core Pentium 4 3GHz CPU back into service by putting an SSD in there - it can now handle 48 channel 24bit 96kHz audio mixing. Very impressive for such an old machine. I'd expect your MBP to probably do better than that. Sample based soft synths are also unbeatable running from SSD.

Don't bother getting the high spec SSD drives though - the drives will outperform the max speed of the interface, which is likely to be SATA 3Gb/s - even the budget SSD drives will be like lightening compared to a HDD, and will be close to maximum performance the system can provide.
Magic Matt
Regular

Postby GPLaudio » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:01 am

Thanks for your replies. Very helpful. Tonight, I had some additional time to work on this laptop. Turns out the HD is good but the odd-brand 1GB add-on RAM that someone else installed was bad. After removing it and using only the original 1GB Mac OEM RAM, everything works fine and I was able to reinstall Mac OS X without issue. I agree on the solid state drive and will contact OWC and/or Crucial tomorrow to order the new HD, more RAM and other missing parts.

Thanks again - Dave
GPLaudio
Poster