You are here

Mac autoload's logic in 32 bits mode from a freeze- Why?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Mac autoload's logic in 32 bits mode from a freeze- Why?

Postby Jonnypopisical » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:56 am

Hi Peeps,

If I leave my Mac on overnight it usually freezes for the next day (i.e. mouse locks, gotta old down the power button on the unit to reboot). This is a total PITA but I think it is something to do with the Focus rite drivers (2i2). BUT..

even worse than that when I do reboot - even though I have NOTHING set up to load loads it reboots loads all the old programs up (Logic, mail etc) and always boots logic up in 32-bit mode - even though I use Logic in 64-bit by default. This is SO annoying - any one had similar experiences or know how to prevent this from happening.

OS 10.7.5

Logic 9.1.8

Many thanks,

JP
Jonnypopisical
Frequent Poster

Mac Pro, Logic Pro, lots of software and 17 hard drives!

Re: Mac autoload's logic in 32 bits mode from a freeze- Why?

Postby desmond » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:02 am

Do a get info on the Logic app - is Use in 32-bit mode unchecked?

Check that's the *only copy* of the Logic app you have on your system. Otherwise I can't see why that would happen...
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Dec 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby Jonnypopisical » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:57 am

Hi desmond - yes "use 32 bit mode' is unchecked.

I have legacy versions of Logic on other drives (not my system drive) but it's the latest one it loads up - tis very strange.

Thanks,

JP
Jonnypopisical
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:32 pm

Jonnypopisical wrote:it's the latest one it loads up

How do you know?

To make sure, you can try doing the following - run your Logic app, note the version number (let's say it's "9.1.8").

Close it, and rename to "Logic Pro Default".

Copy an earlier version (let's say "9.1.7") to "Logic Pro". Run the main Logic app and verify that it's 9.1.7. Make sure use in 32-bit mode is still unchecked.

Now after a freeze, check that it's this 9.1.7 version that's running. Also, check that's it's this version that runs when you open a Logic document by double-clicking on it in the finder - it's not uncommon for a file type association to be linked to run a different application than the one you expect - ie opening a document is running a different copy of the Logic Pro application elsewhere on your system and that one is set to be in 32-bit mode.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Dec 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby Jonnypopisical » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Thans Desmond - I'll try that!

JP
Jonnypopisical
Frequent Poster