You are here

New 27inch iMac - fusion drive - Firewire adapter and DP8...

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

New 27inch iMac - fusion drive - Firewire adapter and DP8...

Postby Masa » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:50 pm

My new 27inch iMac i7 arrived on Tuesday (8 days ahead of schedule) with 8Gig ram, 1 Tb Fusion Drive and a Firewire - Thunderbolt adapter.

I built it using my Time Machine back-up with only a few minor issues around re-inserting activation codes etc. and started up a DP8 project using my Saffire Pro 40 interface....and blow me ...it all worked and has continued to work crash fee for 2 days.

I am finally uncrossing my fingers...perhaps I am very lucky, but boy what a Christmas present

The iMac itself is of course stunning to look at and unfeasibly thin...and quiet. I have not noticed any performance improvements yet (apart from bounce to disc which is very rapid) as I have not put it under any load.

The screen is wonderful and seems a little less reflective than my previous 6 year old iMac and the casing does not get warm / hot at all even after hours of use.

What a great experience....but isn't that what it should always be with a Mac ?

The only casualty of this whole experience was my copy of Bias Peak...which is basically screwed!! A small price to pay I say!

Happy days
Masa
Poster

Re: New 27inch iMac - fusion drive - Firewire adapter and DP8...

Postby Rob R » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:17 pm

cool, wish I'd ordered one now! I did like the screen having seen the 21.5 in a store the other day - how's the thunderbolt>firewire adaptor working for you?
was thinking of getting the "basic" maxxed out option that apple stores are offering - which wasn't on the website, you had to configure it (so 1tb thingy-drive, upgraded processor & gpu (which isn't a priority)).

next year... my mbp is still in rude health.
Rob R
Regular

Postby Masa » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks....forgot to mention that the Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter is very well made and looks classy...and is definitely worth the £25.... because IT WORKS seamlessly with my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40! I had to buy a new cable with a FW400 connector on one end (Saffire Pro) and a FW800 (Adapter) on the other...but it works.. yay!!
Masa
Poster

Postby Rob R » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:08 am

Nice. I'll need to use it with my apogee duet, and daisy chaining two WD drives. Hope it works ok with that
Rob R
Regular