You are here

iBooks like app for Mac OS complete with page turning animations?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

iBooks like app for Mac OS complete with page turning animations?

Postby Kolakube » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:57 am

Granted this isn't a music question.

But seems as Apple are never going to release iBooks for Mac OSX, is there anything similar?

I really cannot get away with reading from anything that doesn't emulate a book. I know this may sound nuts to some but when im reading a book or a mag like eSOS I really want to be as close to the real thing as poss. Otherwise its like im reading a word doc or something and its puts me in the wrong frame of mind.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Re: iBooks like app for Mac OS complete with page turning animations?

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:39 am

A quick search of the app store revealed this Absolutely no idea as to how good it is, the review is poor............

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby Kolakube » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:26 am

lol - thats some review it gets.

This is absolute crap and that is being very generous to this application. This application should be yanked from the App store simply because of false advertisement. I doubt any EPUB or any book you try to view looks anything like the supplied screen shots. It doesn't format any of the text correctlly (I've tried 20 books and just got tired of hoping it would recognize and format any of them correctly). I thought this would be a better solution that Calibre (which is free) but absolutely Calibre is much better even with its major limitations. THIS SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS.

Ill give Calibre a go. But im not sure it has the page animations I require.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Kolakube » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:36 am

Couple of images to demo what im after. This looks perfect but were just grabbed from the net. Im guessing this is iBooks as the image states iPad top left.

Seems there are many of these on mobile devices such as iPads and Androids but laptops are a no market seemingly.

Suerly more than me could see why people would like something like iBooks on a Mac? I mean wasn't Mountain Lion suppose to bring all these apps to Mac anyhow?

Wish I was a programmer, there is a right gap in the market here.

Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:05 pm

I think there's a free version of that crap programme - but I'm not recommending it!

Yep, I guess the reason these apps have been developed for tablets is because there's a strong market to sell books for tablets and have them feel as much like the real thing as possible - on a tablet.

I suppose you've considered Keynote? You could set up a page flick transition, but it seems like a lot of work.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby Kolakube » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:17 am

Thanks bob.

No I dont want to have to set things up. Rather just pay for an app that has this already.

Shame iBooks isn't out for Mountain Lion. I thought cross apple platforms was the whole idea for Mountain Lion.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Wease » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:41 pm

It's maybe not the perfect reader but IBooks Author-free from appstore might be what you're looking for....and you can make your own books.......I Think it can read your iBooks library....
Wease
Frequent Poster

Postby DAGGILARR » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:56 pm

There is one called simply 'book reader' HERE works well enough, not highly animated but works with gestures, and preview is fine for PDF's, use 2 page view.
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

iMac 27" i7 2.9gh 2010 12GB ram, Focusrite Pro24DSP.

Postby Andy__D » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:07 pm

One thing you could try is the Blio eReader: (www.blio.com), which does the page turn animation thing, and takes as it's input format XPS documents: if you've got a PC, you can convert other docs (like PDF, so long as they're not protected) by printing them through the Microsoft XPS Writer printer driver which gets installed on Vista and later (I believe), and which preserves page layout. Not sure if this'd work for you, as it does involve a little bit of conversion, though.
Andy__D
Regular