You are here

Are these Macbook specs good enough? (Know nothin bout computers) Help appreciated!

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Are these Macbook specs good enough? (Know nothin bout computers) Help appreciated!

Postby B3NJ1 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:31 am

There's a second-hand (newish) Macbook Pro I'm looking at with:

• 8GB DDR3 RAM
• Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
• 128GB Solid State Drive

I want to use it with a Fireface 400 and Ableton Live, for live performances in particular.

Are those specs good enough?

Been doing research but it always helps to get a second opinion.
B3NJ1
New here

Re: Are these Macbook specs good enough? (Know nothin bout computers) Help appreciated!

Postby Chevytraveller » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:40 am

In terms of processing horsepower, that will be fine, but the lack of storage will be an issue..
You'll ideally need a 256Gb Flash drive if you want any library on it and you'll probably want to pull out the Optical drive and put in a second HD probably about 1TB

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy,

Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Vostok, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S.. Eurocrack disease

Re: Are these Macbook specs good enough? (Know nothin bout computers) Help appreciated!

Postby B3NJ1 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:47 am

Thanks for the reply, but dammit. I'm a beginner on a budget. I just want to get a reliable setup for as cheap as possible, without having to customize anything. I'm not a 'computer person'. What's the best stock Mac for what I want? Either a new model or one from the last couple of years that I might be able to find second hand?

Thanks a whole heap to anyone who can be bothered replying...
B3NJ1
New here

Postby B3NJ1 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:47 am

If I just use this computer for music production and if I'm minimalistic with my virtual instruments, just the essential ones (i.e. a few from NI, Ableton Suite, a few others), could I get away with 128GB? It seems like I should be able to...
B3NJ1
New here

Postby johnny h » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:24 pm

B3NJ1 wrote:If I just use this computer for music production and if I'm minimalistic with my virtual instruments, just the essential ones (i.e. a few from NI, Ableton Suite, a few others), could I get away with 128GB? It seems like I should be able to...
Yeah but its a real pain being stuck with such a small amount of space. If you can spare the extra pounds then I think its worth it.
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Do you use NI Kontakt? If so you need to allow over 100GB for its sample library!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby DAGGILARR » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:47 pm

You could consider that machine with an external firewire drive for bulk storage, I believe that would work fine, you can pick up a 500 GB drive for well under £100. Or that machine but just replace the SSD with a hybrid, a very straight-forward procedure but a bit more costly.
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

iMac 27" i7 2.9gh 2010 12GB ram, Focusrite Pro24DSP.