You are here

East West composers collection 1tb hard drive issues

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

East West composers collection 1tb hard drive issues

Postby hellblazer881 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:57 pm

Hey all,

Ok so today my East West 1tb hard drive arrived which contains several east west VST plug ins but unfortunately I cant seem to get my macbook pro to read the hard drive.

Basically everytime I connect the EW hard drive and turn it on, my macbook pro comes up with a message saying "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" ...someone on another forum suggest adding partitions but this would wipe the drive and several hundreds of pounds worth of software :/.

Hope someone can help because im dying to use this software!!.

thanks.
hellblazer881
New here

Re: East West composers collection 1tb hard drive issues

Postby chris... » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:35 pm

Sounds like either the drive is broken, or the data on it is corrupt.

Not sure there's much you can try, other than perhaps a different cable. Or try it on another computer if practical.

Other than that, you need to contact EW.
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:39 pm

Contact EW or the seller as it sounds like you have a PC formatted drive. I don't know if they offer it in two systems, but seems like you have something you can't use so will need to go back.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:50 pm

hellblazer881 wrote:Basically everytime I connect the EW hard drive and turn it on, my macbook pro comes up with a message saying "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"

Can you read the drive on a PC? Find someone with a laptop or PC and give it a go. Given the size of the drive it is possible that it is formatted with the Windows NTFS format, which Mac OSX systems can't read natively. If so, a PC will read it straight away...

If that is the case then there are both paid and free utilities for reading NTFS drives on OSX, such as THIS ONE that will allow you to read the drive directly on a Mac if it is an NTFS drive.

If the PC can't read it either then it could well be a defective drive.

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby chris... » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:31 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Can you read the drive on a PC? Find someone with a laptop or PC and give it a go.

Sounds worth a go. As might trying another Mac.

Given the size of the drive it is possible that it is formatted with the Windows NTFS format, which Mac OSX systems can't read natively.

Actually, OSX can natively mount NTFS - but restricted to read-only. Some 3rd party tool (or a little hackery) is needed for read-write. But the OP doesn't seem to be getting that far.
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:34 pm

chris... wrote: OSX can natively mount NTFS - but read-only.

Ah ha! My mistake -- I didn't think it could see NTFS at all. Thanks for the clarification.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby hellblazer881 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:02 pm

Hey thanks for the replies,

I have tried the drive on an imac and i get the exact same message! could be possible it has been formatted for a PC but when I connect the hard disk enclosure with the sata hd inside it, disk utilities recognises the drive as it comes up with the name of the drive and so on but doesnt allow me to access the drive?

I am awaiting a response from EW atm!
hellblazer881
New here

Postby Ducasse » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:11 pm

It wouldn't hurt to test the drive enclosure with another drive that you are sure is working...
Ducasse
Regular

Postby hellblazer881 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:14 pm

Well the 1TB sata drive is the only external HD I have tbh lol.
hellblazer881
New here

Postby hellblazer881 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:11 am

Ok so, I have a reply from East West tech support moments ago and they seem to think it could be the disk enclosure that is the problem and of course I did think "hmm a company not thinking it could be their equipment that is defective" and they then went on to recommend HD enclosures that have been tested with the 1tb sata HD such as this one...

http://www.macally.com/EN/?page_id=3686
hellblazer881
New here

Postby Ducasse » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:31 am

I made my suggestion because I have had problems with enclosures before. Do you have a friend with a MacPro you could pop it into to test? Otherwise, waiting for e new enclosure is no fun...
Ducasse
Regular