You are here

VMWare Fusion

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

VMWare Fusion

Postby RegressiveRock » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:38 am

I was thinking of working through a load of old Cakewalk Sonar Projects on my Mac to see if there were any worthwhile ideas in there to save.

Anybody using VMWare fusion with Audio products?

Reg
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster

Re: VMWare Fusion

Postby electrotimba » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:09 am

It work OK for simple things like my online taxes (no support for Mac) and "Tag&Rename" (nothing even close for Mac) but when I tried Sony Vegas last week .... I dont think will waste my time again trying to use it with any audio or video. BTW. EVen simple task like renaming bunch of files takes ages.
electrotimba
Regular

Postby RegressiveRock » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:32 am

electrotimba wrote:It work OK for simple things like my online taxes (no support for Mac) and "Tag&Rename" (nothing even close for Mac) but when I tried Sony Vegas last week .... I dont think will waste my time again trying to use it with any audio or video. BTW. EVen simple task like renaming bunch of files takes ages.

Mmm,

I have an old Intel iMac hanging around, maybe I should install Windows on that.

Reg
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster

Postby Jorge » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:07 pm

On my non-music laptop I have run 32 bit Windows XP Pro for years on a 2008 black Macbook with 2 GB RAM under Boot Camp. I have never tried running a DAW on that computer but for MS Office it runs Windows as well as any PC laptop I have used. I chose boot camp rather than VMWare Fusion or Parallels because it lets you use more RAM for the OS that is loaded rather than splitting the RAM between the 2 OSs. However, with any of the options, it seems the Mac OS places more limitations on how much RAM Windows programs can recognize and use than a native Windows PC would. I am also interested to see if anyone here has successfully run a DAW in Windows under VMWare Fusion, Parallels or BootCamp. It would seem unlikely to be well behaved for anything with more than a few tracks give RAM limitations.
Jorge
Regular

Postby electrotimba » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:24 pm

I think VM is fine for little tasks but for audio or video bootcamp is the way to go. I dont mind 3 Gb limit of XP - Vegas will work better than Premiere with 16 Gb RAM - even though it is getting better, it is slow compared to Vegas. I understand that I cannot install Bootcamp on partitioned disc (have 3 partitions - OSX, samples and projects). What would be the easiest way to install Bootcamp? Backup then wipe the HDD? Can I have install OS from Timemachine or have to do clean install?
electrotimba
Regular

Postby Jorge » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:01 pm

I am a PC person and know very little about Macs, but Boot Camp is built into the Mac OS X, you don't need to install it. You do need to purchase a complete version of Windows, Win 7 if you are using Boot Camp 4 in Lion or Mountain Lion. You should be able to get basic instructions on Boot Camp Windows installation from the Mac website, although in true Apple style nearly all Mac support people will plead ignorance about anything technical that is Windows related. Essentially you are on your own for any really detailed or difficult questions about the interactions between Mac OS and Windows. This lack of support is the main reason I have not used Windows more on the Mac.
Try this website, it answers some basic questions.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4818#1
Maybe someone here actually has tried this with a DAW and can provide more detailed information.
Jorge
Regular

Postby Dave B » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:19 am

Many, many moons ago, I used my Fusion (v1 or v2 - I can't remember) based Win2k (showing my age here) VM to try running an early version of Reaper. Obviously I couldn't use any ASIO so it just used the bog standard windows sound card driver, but it did run. It was useable up to a point. Once I gave it over a gig of ram, it was ok - just sluggish.

This was on a Core2Duo iMac (2ghz) - I should really move the VM over to my MBP as that is an early i7, has more ram and I think a relatively recent version of Fusion (either 3 or 4).

The only thing to note is that it wasn't that windows was sluggish, just the Reaper app itself. But then that does a lot of real time work and I'm not sure how good a vm is for that kind of thing.
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby electrotimba » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:25 pm

Dave B wrote:Many, many moons ago, I used my Fusion (v1 or v2 - I can't remember) based Win2k (showing my age here) VM to try running an early version of Reaper. Obviously I couldn't use any ASIO so it just used the bog standard windows sound card driver, but it did run.
No idea how it works but I was surprised to hear Win chime on boot, coming from my RME USB. Never installed any drivers on the XP (with ML & VM ver.4), neither intended to use RME on VM XP, just forgot that it was connected while starting XP. Did not check in Vegas audio preferences what shows up as audio device, will do it next time.
electrotimba
Regular

Postby G-Doubleyou » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:23 pm

For best performance you have to use Bootcamp, VM has to communicate through core audio to get to your hardware.

8-)
G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3