You are here

Logic 8 / Old G5 issues?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic 8 / Old G5 issues?

Postby Bigga J » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:48 pm

I'm running Logic 8 on a pre - Intel (Dual 1.8) G5 and I've been seeing more and more instances of the 'audio engine overload' message lately where everything grinds to a halt. The annoying thing is that the CPU meter shows one processor hitting the red but the other one barely flickers at all so what on earth is it doing?! Shouldn't it be sharing the load instead of freezing up everytime my tracks/plugs/automation build up a little?? Before anyone suggests I buy a new computer, please don't as that's not feasable for now - all other advice is appreciated
Bigga J
Poster

Re: Logic 8 / Old G5 issues?

Postby G-Doubleyou » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:08 pm

Even on Intel apple suggests sending tracks out to a bus to help redistribute core loads.

A 3yr old mac used mini would kick your G5's ass!

G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Postby desmond » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:59 pm

Assuming we're talking about CPU load, rather than disk I/O load:-

One single channel strip gets processed on one core, for technical reasons. So, if you have one channel strip with a heavy instrument plugin and a bunch of other heavy plugins, it's quite possible to overload that core, even though the computer has "extra power" available in the other core.

You can redistribute plugins across multiple channels in the instances that you need to do it.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Nov 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby Bigga J » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:36 am

Thanks Des. I'll re-jig some of my plug-in stacks and see how I get on, having said that, the disk I/O was peaking as well simaltaneously with the CPU max outs.
Bigga J
Poster

Postby Bigga J » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:39 am

Thanks G but for now I'll be guarding my G5's backside and my debit card from Mac minis
Bigga J
Poster

Postby G-Doubleyou » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:09 am

Just say'n it's time to step into the future. Save your pennies.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/371545-logic-pro-multicore-benchmarktest.html

G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Postby desmond » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:19 am

Bigga J wrote:Thanks Des. I'll re-jig some of my plug-in stacks and see how I get on, having said that, the disk I/O was peaking as well simaltaneously with the CPU max outs.

Well, resource allocation is complicated so you may well also have other issues going on (streaming samples, audio disk traffic, bus throughput issues and so on).

At the end of the day, your machine only has a certain amount of power, which isn't much by today's standard, so if you are asking your machine to do more than it's capable of doing, (settings juggling aside), then you have to employ some other strategies to maximise your limited resource - flatting audio, bouncing tracks, committing instruments to audio, bouncing sub-mixes, freezing channels and so on.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Nov 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby Bigga J » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:02 pm

G-Double, just for the record, I DID NOT go straight onto the Apple store website and start doing calculations off the back of claiming i'm broke

P.S. Thanks again Des - might be upgrade time but don't tell G-Doubleyou
Bigga J
Poster