You are here

Alternative to Cinema display

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Alternative to Cinema display

Postby basilfawlty » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:34 pm

Hi All,
I'm looking to replace a couple of old 17" screens with a nice big shiny new one for our 2011 mac pro.
I've seen a couple of posts suggesting a non-apple screen, and also a recent one about using a flat screen TV (though I don't need to be able to watch TV.)

Basically I need something that I can use for DAW duties, about 3' from my face, with maximum real-estate and resolution for the £. The budget is as close to £300 as poss.

Does anyone have advice as to what the best bang for buck screen would be for this purpose?

Many Thanks,
Baz
basilfawlty
Regular
There are 10 types of people in this world - 9 who understand binary; the rest are like me.

Re: Alternative to Cinema display

Postby DAGGILARR » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:10 pm

Look up Dell ultra sharp these are IPS monitors that are very good and can be picked up for about £150 or so on the bay

This is amazon new
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

iMac 27" i7 2.9gh 2010 12GB ram, Focusrite Pro24DSP.

Postby basilfawlty » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:24 pm

Thanks for this. Now I'm wondering if it'd be better to go for two of these or one 27" version - the two smaller ones would result in more real estate for less money, but then there are potential connectivity issues: the mac tower has a dual head graphics card but (IIRC) one port is VGA and the other is DVI. (I'm not at the studio so can't check!) If this is the case would I be looking at potenitally running the two screen option at different respective resolutions / picture quality?
basilfawlty
Regular
There are 10 types of people in this world - 9 who understand binary; the rest are like me.

Postby chris... » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Make sure you're clear about what connections will be used.

The 2010 Mac Pro here has connections for three displays. 2 x Mini DisplayPort and 1 x DVI. I imagine yours will be the same.

No Mac sold in many years has VGA.

Check the screens you're looking at have Mini DisplayPort (or more likely, regular DisplayPort).
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:51 pm

I agree with chris, but either way the connector used doesn't determine the maximum resolution available. The capabilities of the graphic card do. BTW DVI has VGA output available via an adaptor.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Frequent Poster

Making music: Eagle Alley ... Recording music: Mr Punch's Studio