You are here

Hello... Mac newbie :)

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Hello... Mac newbie :)

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:57 pm

I've just defected from the Windows side from an aging dual core Pentium laptop to a shiny bottom-of-the-range Mac Mini. Already got most of my software installed. A bit gutted that Cakewalk Rapture won't install on Mountain Lion, but hey-ho I expected a few such things.

Anything that a new Mac user should know gratefully received!
Rich Hanson
Regular

SoundCloud

7 Digital

Re: Hello... Mac newbie :)

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:27 pm

Choose a computer that runs the software you want to run. If a Mac doesn't, take it back.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Guy Johnson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:53 pm

Basically, just have fun. A tool such as Macaroni to run the Linux housekeeping routines daily, weekly and monthly seems to be a good thing, and your'e done. Stay clear of MacKeeper.

And don't worry!

G
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:34 am

All my core tools run in OSX, I wouldn't have bought a Mac if they didn't!
Rich Hanson
Regular

SoundCloud

7 Digital

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:08 pm

Hairy Ears wrote:All my core tools run in OSX, I wouldn't have bought a Mac if they didn't!

"...A bit gutted that Cakewalk Rapture won't install..."

:-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:12 pm

Note the qualifier "a bit". Always planned to get into Rapture but never got round to it so I haven't really lost anything from my arsenal.
Rich Hanson
Regular

SoundCloud

7 Digital

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:35 pm

Hairy Ears wrote:Note the qualifier "a bit". Always planned to get into Rapture but never got round to it so I haven't really lost anything from my arsenal.

You're wriggling! Has going Mac opened doors? Or closed some? It's a serious question. Do you want to play in a walled garden, no matter how pretty the gardener's selection of flowers?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:50 pm

Well, as my principle tools are StudioOne, T-Racks and Korg Legacy and all are running fine then I would suggest that this garden wall isn't terribly well built since I have already escaped into the world of non-Apple software.
Rich Hanson
Regular

SoundCloud

7 Digital

Postby Wease » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:17 pm

The lack of replies....cept from exalted...who doesn't seem to really like macs....kinda give you a clue

Be prepared to switch on the machine and open your programmes of choice (cept for cakewalks synths) and record your "musings" whilst connected to the Internet without the virus issues....

Then shut down when you've finished

Get used to an easy workflow and lack of blue screens of death

And....it's just a computer....but this one, just works......kinda like you expect, rather than hope for in a windoze machine.
Wease
Frequent Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:24 pm

Had a BSOD once about four years ago due to a bad driver so my Windows experience has been relatively benign. Never had a virus, and one would be deluding oneself if your were to think that any computer is completely immune from malware, and was always online whilst recording (which for me isn't such a great thing as I am perhaps a little too compulsive when it comes to the internet
Rich Hanson
Regular

SoundCloud

7 Digital

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:24 pm

Wease wrote:Get used to an easy workflow and lack of blue screens of death

Oh yes, a Mac crash or lockup looks a bit different, doesn't it :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

Postby tim_obrien » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:29 pm

Biggest boost you can give your new machine is installing more RAM.
Shop around, it's cheap.

And for recording, use an external firewire drive so the apps and OS can go about their business without interrupting the streaming of music data.
tim_obrien
Regular

Postby johnny h » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:30 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:

Honestly never seen the lockup screen in all my years using macs, so I wouldn't know. Its not a blue screen though from what I've read about on the internet..
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:02 pm

Hey Hairy, don't worry about Exalt's comments, he's a PC fanboy - very rare breed, so we accept his rantings as expected entertainment around here.

It's been said, more RAM the better. I use time machine for instant backup, actually very happy with the Time Capsule set up I have, but it's not cheap.

And if you're using the Mac for admin have a wade around the App Store, lots of good utilities to choose from. I've just downloaded MailHub a plug in for Mail which revolutionises (well for me) email management.

But most of all enjoy!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:30 am

Bob Bickerton wrote:Hey Hairy, don't worry about Exalt's comments, he's a PC fanboy...

No, I hate the bloody things! Much prefer pianos, or electric keyboards if absolutely necessary. But I don't hate Macs any less, and I hate the hype.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:07 am

Exalted Wombat wrote:
Bob Bickerton wrote:Hey Hairy, don't worry about Exalt's comments, he's a PC fanboy...

No, I hate the bloody things! Much prefer pianos, or electric keyboards if absolutely necessary. But I don't hate Macs any less, and I hate the hype.

Fair enough - just winding you up!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby johnny h » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:12 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:

Strange then, that Microsoft spend so much more money on hype, both in sales percentage and real terms.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ycharts/2012/08/02/who-spends-more-on-ads-apple-or-microsoft-another-lesson-in-quality-vs-quantity/

Maybe they just are better computers to use. They certainly require a lot less maintenance, and this is very important for people without a lot of time on their hands.
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby _ Six _ » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:34 pm

I would rather stick hot knitting needles up my bum than go back to using a PC

Hope that helps
_ Six _
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:37 pm

_ Six _ wrote:I would rather stick hot knitting needles up my bum than go back to using a PC

Hope that helps

Thank you for sharing that! But what have your sexual preferences got to do with choice of platform?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

Postby G-Doubleyou » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:42 pm

Hairy Ears wrote:I've just defected from the Windows side from an aging dual core Pentium laptop to a shiny bottom-of-the-range Mac Mini. Already got most of my software installed. A bit gutted that Cakewalk Rapture won't install on Mountain Lion, but hey-ho I expected a few such things.

Anything that a new Mac user should know gratefully received!

Check with Cakewalk for an update, it could be the installer.
Older installers contained code for the Power PC CPUs.

The old solution was Rosetta a Power PC emulator. Support for Rosetta was dropped with OSX 10.7 and beyond.

Hopefully Cakewalk has a solution by now.

G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Postby Rich Hanson » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:11 am

Already did, no dice, at least not at the moment.

Like I said, I never really got into Rapture so I don't feel I've lost anything.
Rich Hanson
Regular

SoundCloud

7 Digital

Postby Rich Hanson » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:14 am

And a general comment - stop the pointless platform wars already. I only wanted a few pointers to potential pitfalls/useful tips for someone switching platform.

FFS stop waving your willies around going "your platform's better than yours" and use what works for you.
Rich Hanson
Regular

SoundCloud

7 Digital

Postby Wease » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:21 am

I like exhaulted.....always very honest, especially when I go into annoying apple fanboy mode......not so sure about his preference for knitting needles tho....

As for the original op.....there are some small operational workflows that you might encounter.....the way that you have to close programmes via the programme menu itself (rather than just clicking the red dot/cross on the window)....getting to know the search function....not having a windows icon to click and then scroll though your programmes, but using either the dock or launch pad....the very useful 'hot corners' facility for moving between apps.....but these are fairly minor and easy to get used too....

Your software....as you are not moving daw platform...should work as you expect.....I had to learn logic, coming from Cubase....and that was the most difficult (but not too difficult) element of my move from pc to mac....I still miss the better/easier midi functionality of Cubase...but prefer logic's mixer for example.....but I think you'll have a pleasant time with your new machine.....and you'll experience a big jump in performance....as you would have with a new pic to be honest!

Above all....you should have a fairly say ride with the technology.....and be able to get on with the making of music!

Have fun!
Wease
Frequent Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:24 am

johnny h wrote:
Exalted Wombat wrote:

Honestly never seen the lockup screen in all my years using macs, so I wouldn't know. Its not a blue screen though from what I've read about on the internet..

The mac equivalent is a grey screen of death. I've only seen this on my mirror door G4 and it is called a Kernel Panic.

It looks like this

http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/TS3742/TS3742_01_KP-001-en.jpg

But yes Macs just work generally, no silly tweaks need to be made, no checking of motherboard or chipset to see if an AI will work with it. I've never seen much hype about them, it seems to be something people have tried to conjure up to justify their hatred of things that are different.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Currents » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:46 pm

Be cautious of using the automatic software update to update your system software before checking your third party plugins and drivers have been made compatible.
They used to say the best way to update is to download the full combo update from apple website and install from that although I'm not sure that is necessary any more ?
Have fun
Eddy Currents
Regular

Postby daedalus » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:09 pm

Eddy Currents wrote:Be cautious of using the automatic software update to update your system software before checking your third party plugins and drivers have been made compatible.
They used to say the best way to update is to download the full combo update from apple website and install from that although I'm not sure that is necessary any more ?
Have fun

+1 on turning automatic updates off, especially if you have adobe flash installed (separate preference). The combo update thing I've heard as well, but I gotta say, never had a problem with manual updates through the Software update.
daedalus
Regular

Just a piano and some sketch paper please...