You are here

Alternatives to mouse?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Alternatives to mouse?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:08 pm

Anyone use a trackball or anything instead of a mouse? Recommendations/thoughts? Cheers.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster

A goal without a plan is just a wish

Re: Alternatives to mouse?

Postby G-Doubleyou » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:14 pm

I Run my MBP in clamshell mode, and I like the magic trackpad.

Easy on the hand and wrist.

G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Postby chris... » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:46 pm

Hate trackballs, love trackpads.

(completely different).

Some discussion (also including meece) here.
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby BJG145 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:47 pm

I find trackballs even more uncomfortable than mice. The one on Missile Command was cr*p and they went downhill from there.

I'm waiting for eye-tracking.
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby Wease » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:02 pm

BJG145 wrote:

Then you'll be interested in This guys work ......it's pretty impressive
Wease
Frequent Poster

Postby ziggy73 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:45 pm

Sometimes, and depending on the functions i need, i use a wacom tablet with a pen - especially when creating a sound in a softsynth or using guitar amp simulations, i.e. when playing an actual keyboard or a guitar at the same time.

Actually i find it easier than using a mouse - you just click and drag in the same movement, no clicks involved, seems less fatiguing than grabbing the mouse.

Cheers
ziggy73

Postby Wimek » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:03 pm

+1 for the track pad on my MBP retina
Wimek
Regular

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:06 pm

I;ve tried them all (well, most of them) and keep coming back to a mouse. It needs to be a responsive, hand-sized one though. I've yet to find anything better than the standard Microsoft Optical Mouse (it works fine on a Mac too). And most wireless mice are a solution that lacks a problem.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby oktafish » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:11 pm

I really like Wacom Tablet option, pretty accurate and kinda less "virtual".
oktafish
Regular

Postby blue manga » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:22 pm

prefer trackpad to mouse but prefer Bamboo tablet to trackpad .. I have both on the desktop (no mouse, cant b doing with that) - but use the Bamboo tablet 99% of the time.. definitely easier on the wrist and tendons etc
blue manga
Frequent Poster

Postby blue manga » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:52 pm

however I'll tell u a funny story which isn't that funny and not really a story..

I've got very dry hands at the moment what with the weather and all - and I find the gripping of the pencil, is not congenial to having very dry skin on the knuckles, so have temporarily switched back to track pad.

that is all.
blue manga
Frequent Poster

Postby blue manga » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:52 pm

still wouldn't use a mouse tho
blue manga
Frequent Poster

Postby daedalus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:03 pm

I control my Mac telekinetically. But this forum keeps opening up in Safari. Guess my subconscious likes to take over.
daedalus
Regular

Just a piano and some sketch paper please...

Postby desmond » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:57 pm

I use a tablet/pen on the left, trackpad in the middle, mouse on the right.

I can use whatever makes the most sense for the given task, and can alternate between my left and right hands as necessary.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Nov 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby RoastBiff in The UK. » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:20 am

Yes, I've tried them all too and I still prefer a mouse, it's far more accurate while I'm dragging the arrow around the screen than rubbing my (sometimes) sweaty finger all over a Track Pad.
I must add that I don't use a LapTop with my Logic Pro in my music room, and I suppose that plugging a mouse into the LapTop would defeat the portability of it!
The Wi Fi mice are a bummer though, batteries run out far too frequently and unpredictably, so I still connect my mouse with a USB lead.
RoastBiff in The UK.
Regular

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:35 am

RoastBiff in France wrote:
I must add that I don't use a LapTop with my Logic Pro in my music room, and I suppose that plugging a mouse into the LapTop would defeat the portability of it!

There's a mouse in the side pocket of my laptop's bag, and if I'm using it for anything more than web browsing it usually gets plugged in. Portability is a highly overrated feature. You need what you need.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:36 am

RoastBiff in France wrote:The Wi Fi mice are a bummer though, batteries run out far too frequently and unpredictably, so I still connect my mouse with a USB lead.

I use wireless Logitech mice and keyboards on my PCs. The (rechargeable) batteries in my studio PC's mouse typically last around 2 years and the batteries in my office PC's mouse and keyboard have been in since I bought it around 5 years ago. These PCs are heavily used.

The lady elf bought a bit of a 'cheapie' wireless mouse and it needs new batteries about every 4 weeks.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:41 am

Exalted Wombat wrote:There's a mouse in the side pocket of my laptop's bag, and if I'm using it for anything more than web browsing it usually gets plugged in.

Ditto.

Gawd I hate laptop mousepads!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby turbodave » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:34 pm

trackpad, trackpad and if I need to........trackpad! Dave
turbodave
Frequent Poster

My head hurts!

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:45 pm

THe reason I asked is that I'm getting athritis in my index fnger and I'm convinced it's due to years of mouse wheel scrolling. I have a MBP with a trackpad but it just doesn't seem as responsive as the mouse. Anyone used trackballs?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster

A goal without a plan is just a wish

Postby tim_obrien » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:11 pm

The only trackball I've liked is the old big heavy (softball sized) Kensington trackball.
The newer ones are all too small and light.
Don't know if the newer Kensington's are still big and heavy.
tim_obrien
Regular

Postby electrotimba » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:56 pm

tim_obrien wrote:The only trackball I've liked is the old big heavy (softball sized) Kensington trackball.
The newer ones are all too small and light.
Don't know if the newer Kensington's are still big and heavy.
I used one for 1-2 years, helped me to get rid of serious problems in my right hand. Disadvantage, bulky- to be really effective at preventing injury must be used with the extension pad so it was huge . Now, I am more careful and manage with pad and magic mouse. Keep on switching between the 2 to avoid injury. The only real advantage of MM over all other- it is the flattest and prevent me from unhealthy bend of wrist. The Kensington monster was the best as far as ergonomics and prevention of injury is concerned.
electrotimba
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 pm

I don't know if they still make them and I may have the name wrong - Evoluent Vertical Mouse. The mouse sits sideways meaning you don't twist the bones in your wrist when you use it meaning much less chance of RSI or carpal tunnel. brilliant. just make sure where you place the mouse allows your forearm to be parallel to the floor. I had hard core carpal tunnel and tried them all before I found this little gem.

Eric void(0)
ManFromGlass
Regular

Postby electrotimba » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:41 pm

That is really interesting, just tried positioning my hand with the imaginary vertical mouse, great idea, the entire hand can be much more relaxed in this position. Found a source too: http://www.backinaction.co.uk/evoluent-vertical-mouse
electrotimba
Regular

Postby RoastBiff in The UK. » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:42 am

Hi Elf, Yes I agree, the rechargeable batteries will run for years, but with the Apple WiFi Mice I used to use, I was swapping them every couple of weeks, even if I switched them off when not using them.....too faffing and fiddly!
My brother in law is always calling me for help because his Canon wi fi printer is always disappearing from his MBP desktop, even though it's only 6 feet away! Gimme a direct connection everytime
RoastBiff in The UK.
Regular

Postby RoastBiff in The UK. » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:52 am

Sorry to hear about your Arthritis Hugh, there are many medical solutions for that as I'm sure you know.
I've seen some guys who are really great with Trackballs, but again, they are like great tennis players, few and far between, it's a gift I suppose, 'Horses for Courses', or should I say 'Mice for cheeses'!
RoastBiff in The UK.
Regular

Postby Exalted Wombat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:28 am

RoastBiff in France wrote:My brother in law is always calling me for help because his Canon wi fi printer is always disappearing from his MBP desktop, even though it's only 6 feet away! Gimme a direct connection everytime

Yes. Wireless if you must. But ONLY if you must. OK, your laptop's on wireless. But when it's on your desk, next to yor modem, have a cable ready to plug in. Why Bluetooth your phone to your computer? You're sitting in front of it, FFS! Use the cable! It's like installing a SSD system drive - everything just gets faster and more responsive.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

Postby xFasterMikeyH » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:48 pm

Huge Longjohns wrote:THe reason I asked is that I'm getting athritis in my index fnger and I'm convinced it's due to years of mouse wheel scrolling.
I started getting pain in my right hand (and arm and shoulder and neck) from using a mouse. Not arthritic pain, but still pain and still something to be avoided. I switched to using my left hand and all is well, for the moment at least. It took me about 2 months to become really comfortable with using my left hand, but was well worth the effort.

I also now take a lot of time to learn keyboard shortcuts and have started using an app-launcher (QuickSilver on the Mac, Promptu on Win7) so actually use the mouse a lot less. Of course YMMV and it will depend on what you need to do with your computer.

FMH
xFasterMikeyH
Regular

Postby G-Doubleyou » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:54 pm

oktafish wrote:I really like Wacom Tablet option, pretty accurate and kinda less "virtual".

I still have my Wacom connected, used the pen and tablet exclusively for years.

There are still a few plug controls that are easier with a mouse.

G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Postby Skerrick » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:24 pm

BJG145 wrote:I find trackballs even more uncomfortable than mice. The one on Missile Command was cr*p and they went downhill from there.

youre waiting for EYE tracking?
you might not have to wait too long at all..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N52jDyWtoQQ
Skerrick
Regular