You are here

Tracktion 4 is here!

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Tracktion 4 is here!

Postby BillB » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi, I expect that this should be of equal interest to Maccers

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showf ... =1#1032129
BillB
Regular

Re: Tracktion 4 is here!

Postby Jeraldo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:44 pm

This is interesting, and it looks to have features that are well implemented.

However, having a look at forums on the Tracktion site, and on the KVR site, it seems like the new version is barely beyond beta (if at all). Curiously, it has garnered very enthusiastic responses from people who have purchased the product and are having all sorts of problems! Confusing.

It's surprising that they've stayed with a very dated looking interface, and are stating that it's a considered choice, which is meant to emphasize that it does not emulate hardware. That seems like a stretch.
Jeraldo
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:39 pm

Jeraldo

Tracktion has a history of a dedicated developer and dedicated users. The 'Mackie period' has been unfortunate, but users recognise that, with control back in the developer's hands, they can expect rapid and useful responses, and constructive development of the software. As stated on the PC forum, initial work has been to bring the codebase in line with current OS's. Given the history and low upgrade costs, existing users will cut the developer a great deal of slack in these early months.

So it may not be a DAW to jump to, from better-established software, but the reaction of past users will continue to be tolerant and happy, as long as Tracktion continues to improve. And on that basis, it will attract happy new users in due course. :)

Bill
BillB
Regular

Postby Chevytraveller » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:48 pm

I have to say I am probably more excited about this Software than anything else currently on offer.. there is a lot to recommend about "going with the little guy" and with Tracktion now back in Julian's capable hands it is free to be developed and driven by users rather than corporate ideologies.

To be honest, for the price (£30 upgrade for me) it's cheaper than just about any plug-in and free to try a demo version so maybe you should give it a try before being too critical of it. The interface may seem "old fashioned" but there is a great deal of wisdom in having a workflow all on one page and it's surprisingly quick and neat to work with once you don't have to flick between pages.

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy,

Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Vostok, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S.. Eurocrack disease