You are here

Apple computers 'hacked' in breach

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Apple computers 'hacked' in breach

Postby DragonLogos » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:57 pm

Apple has said its computers were attacked by the same hackers who targeted Facebook - Apple said it would release a software update to protect customers against the malicious software used in the attack

Java vulnerability

To protect Mac users that have installed Java, today we are releasing an updated Java malware removal tool that will check Mac systems and remove this malware if found

Full Story on BBC

Not to sure what to make about the Unit 61398 Link - Have noticed early last year ppl in that direction scratching around sites, clearly there seems to be a big thing about getting into all and every system, exactly were it will all end is anyone's guess and have also seen vulnerabilities in Linux (eg Adobe) being put forward as concerns. There again a good few ppl have said for a while now that Java was an accident waiting to happen, well here you go

Another interesting article is Core Rot Which when you start reading through the sections does make some good points
DragonLogos
Regular

Re: Apple computers 'hacked' in breach

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:35 pm

ppl?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Frequent Poster

Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio.  Water down the gin and let reality in.

Postby DragonLogos » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:39 pm

as in playing Rhubarb (and Soylent Green) - ppl is People
DragonLogos
Regular

Postby blue manga » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:47 pm

Is there an easy way to disable Java ? I seem to recall so..

Always seems to be problems.. I don;t even know what it's for, personally..
blue manga
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:55 pm

blue manga wrote:Is there an easy way to disable Java ? I seem to recall so..

Safari -> Preferences -> Security -> Untick "Enable JAVA".

If you don't need it, it should be turned off (or uninstalled) which is good general security practice.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby DAGGILARR » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:03 pm

desmond wrote:If you don't need it, it should be turned off (or uninstalled) which is good general security practice.

What would you need it for ?
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

iMac 27" i7 2.9gh 2010 12GB ram, Focusrite Pro24DSP.

Postby desmond » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:16 pm

DAGGILARR wrote:What would you need it for ?

You'd need it for anything that requires it. If you don't have anything that requires it, you don't need it.

I do need it, but keep it turned off in general and only temporarily enable it for the things I need it for. It makes no sense to list out my personal needs, as they are outside the scope of this thread.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:53 pm

Many Java users are corporate. The sorts of applications they used to use via an 80 column terminal attached to a mainframe are now implemented in Java and run via a browser. At my old company the last system I worked on was a million pound development for the Coal Authority written in Java. Of course that makes it particularly attractive to crackers because if they can get on to a user's machine via a Java bug then hey presto! They're inside the corporate firewall.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Frequent Poster

Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio.  Water down the gin and let reality in.

Postby MarkOne » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:26 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Many Java users are corporate. The sorts of applications they used to use via an 80 column terminal attached to a mainframe are now implemented in Java and run via a browser. At my old company the last system I worked on was a million pound development for the Coal Authority written in Java. Of course that makes it particularly attractive to crackers because if they can get on to a user's machine via a Java bug then hey presto! They're inside the corporate firewall.

CC

Yes my Work machine needs Java for some of the data manipulation and reporting I have to do.

The only Java app that comes to mind I have looked at for recording purposes is the Room EQ Wizard for measuring room and speaker performance.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster

Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby Scope » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:50 pm

Over ten years of OS-X and the best they can do is work their way in through Java?
And if you turn off java, it doesn't work??
God, I am [email]cr@ping[/email] myself.

I just love to exaggeration.
Just think at this rate, by 2213, the mac will be as vunerable as your pc is now.
Scope
Frequent Poster

Postby xFasterMikeyH » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:39 pm

Scope wrote:Over ten years of OS-X and the best they can do is work their way in through Java?
And if you turn off java, it doesn't work??
God, I am [email]cr@ping[/email] myself.
Facebook and Apple devs caught by the same vulnerability, these are people who should know better. Perhaps they weren't worried either, because they were using OSX?

Apple has been poor about keeping Java patched in OSX and it's not like Oracle have been massively responsive to start with. That doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence in me.

FMH
xFasterMikeyH
Regular