You are here

Will new ML Macs run Snow Leopard

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Will new ML Macs run Snow Leopard

Postby Jeraldo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:48 pm

I'm still on Snow Leopard, and have been told by Mac Geniuses that Snow Leopard cannot be run on a separate partition/drive on current Macs, due to firmware limitations. I'm thinking of almost all the iterations: the Mini, the MB, and the Air.

Does anyone have information, or are running SL on current Mac offerings?

Thanks

BTW: My current Mac will not run anything beyond SL.
Jeraldo
Frequent Poster

Re: Will new ML Macs run Snow Leopard

Postby TBTS » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:04 pm

nope, you'll get a kernel panic on boot.
TBTS
Regular
Apple Certified Technician + songwriter ** Shiny New Website with new music, videos etc... **
http://www.turnbacktospring.com

Postby Phil O » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:09 pm

I don't know about SL but I believe that new Mac Pro's can run Lion on a separate partition. However, that's probably due to the fact that there has been limited upgrades to this model.

Others like the MacBook Pro's have been and I'd be willing to bet the kernel doesn't support a newer MacBook, if the model has been refreshed.

I think Jigsaw have some new old stock that can ship with SL. You'd have to check with them if it's possible to upgrade the OS at a later date if you're looking for some future-proofing.
Phil O
Frequent Poster

Postby Chevytraveller » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:50 pm

I have SL successfully installed on a 2011 Mac Mini(i5 processor).. Not supposed to work and indeed won't instal via the normal methods. Seems to run without problems but not tested fully with Logic yet.
Newer machines may have issues with video drivers in SL

Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy,

Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Vostok, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S.. Eurocrack disease

Postby Scope » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:59 pm

2011 macbook pro machines do run SL.
I run it on my 2.2 i7 15inch with no problems at all.
It happily runs all my software.

The only disadvantage is poor use of CPU power.
Scope
Frequent Poster

Postby Jeraldo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Thanks to you all.

The signs don't appear to be good for running SL on a Mac purchased today or in the future. So far, everyone who is doing that is using a 2011, correct?
Jeraldo
Frequent Poster

Postby chris... » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:12 pm

Jeraldo wrote:The signs don't appear to be good for running SL on a Mac purchased today or in the future. So far, everyone who is doing that is using a 2011, correct?

Not sure I totally understand the question - FWIW I'm running 10.6 on a 2010 Mac Pro and some older machines.

Also, while there may exist some 2011 Macs that can run 10.6, that does not mean all 2011 Macs will.

If buying a new Mac, you will probably want to run a current OS on it.
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby Scope » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:03 pm

You can run SL in a virtual environment on a ML Mac, but I can't tell you how that would work for time-critical events like audio.
I did try to run Nuendo in Win7 via Fusion & it was er, "not very good !" ;-)
I ended up rendering all the VIs and audio and putting the files in to PT running natively in Mac OS.
Scope
Frequent Poster

Postby Jeraldo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:15 pm

chris... wrote:
Not sure I totally understand the question - FWIW I'm running 10.6 on a 2010 Mac Pro and some older machines.

Sorry. The question is "Will a new Mac purchased today run SL?"

Clarity is not one of my virtues!
Jeraldo
Frequent Poster

Postby chris... » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:42 am

If it's possible at all, it'd likely depend which new Mac. For example, AFAIK the current Mac Pro line has barely been modified since autumn 2010 when 10.6 was current. But a retina MBP may have quite a bit of different hardware, needing OS drivers not present in older versions.

PS - can you expand a little on your initial statement "I'm still on Snow Leopard". which could be read as you've simply not yet had time to update. Is there stuff known to not work under 10.8 ?

Also, FWIW, at a guess you might have a slightly better chance of running 10.7 on a new or recent Mac, which might just be supported for something that isn't yet 10.8-compatible.
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby G-Doubleyou » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:49 pm

Jeraldo wrote:
chris... wrote:

Sorry. The question is "Will a new Mac purchased today run SL?"

Clarity is not one of my virtues!

That depends on when the hardware design was released,and the current OS at that time.

Example I have an early 2011 MBP, except for processor speed bumps, the hardware did not change until slimmer case and retina displays were introduced.

I understand that if you are handy with the command line you can hack the OS to work, search the interweb.

I recently started testing ML on an external drive, after two weeks everything works smoothly.

G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3