You are here

Is it possible to sync multiple macs running Logic Pro 9?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Is it possible to sync multiple macs running Logic Pro 9?

Postby Lucky Sam » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:09 am

Hi all

I work at a teaching college where we have 13 x imac workstations all running Logic Pro 9. Do any of you know if it's possible to sync these machines from the main tutor workstation so that pressing play for example on the tutor machine would automatically start all other instances of Logic at the same time?

The machines aren't currently on a network.

Any help / pointers would be hugely appreciated - thank you

Sam
Lucky Sam
Poster

Re: Is it possible to sync multiple macs running Logic Pro 9?

Postby BenLD » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:43 am

I've not done it myself, but I would look into sending out MTC (Midi Time Code) from the master machine and syncing to it on all the others.

In the old days I would have had midi cables everywhere, but you can probably do it over ethernet cables if you set up midi over LAN (it's pretty straightforward on a Mac).

Ben
BenLD
Regular

Postby Lucky Sam » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:53 pm

Thank you Ben - much appreciated. Setting up MIDI over LAN sounds like the plan. Anyone familiar with the actual process in Logic Pro 9? I've found some PT examples on line but there doesnt appear to be an explicit set up procedure for Logic.

S
Lucky Sam
Poster

Postby Hussein » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:33 pm

Hi there

it is possible.
I've participated with four macbooks synced over wi-fi which was created as a temporary network.
I've also managed to get Logic and Ableton synced on two different computers over wi-fi as well. In act I could play midi on Ableton and trigger Logic instruments.

Here's an article that might help you: Midi Over A Network

Hussein
Hussein
Poster

Postby Lucky Sam » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:20 pm

Hussein that's so helpful - thank you.

S
Lucky Sam
Poster

Postby BenLD » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:20 pm

Once you've set up midi over LAN in Audio Midi Setup...

In Logic you set the master computer to 'send MTC' (in 'Project Settings > Synchronization > Midi' - tick the checkbox and select the output port from the drop down menu - usually 'Network session 1')

On the slave computers set the 'sync mode' from the drop down menu to 'MTC' (Project Settings > Synchronization > General'). There are a few options you can change for timecode start, bar numbers etc

That should work as long as the 'Sequencer' (ie Logic) is receiving midi from 'Network Session 1' (you can check by opening the Environment window and selecting 'clicks and ports' in the top left drop down menu)

HTH

Ben
BenLD
Regular