You are here

Garageband iOS how to export track to mix on another DAW?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Garageband iOS how to export track to mix on another DAW?

Postby 4TrackMadman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Hello all!
I have a collaborator that has created several track in Garageband for iOS (the mobile version).
He's asking my help in remixing the material but can't find a way to export the separate tracks with a common start time. Anyone have a suggestion on the best way this could be done?

I am working on PC, Studio One, Sonar or a few other DAW apps, that end should be easy, getting the files to me is apparently not.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Re: Garageband iOS how to export track to mix on another DAW?

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:52 pm

Google "export tracks from garageband ipad". It seems possible, though you have to jump through a few hoops.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby agent funk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:20 pm

Well with the normal garageband you can send an uncompressed mix to iTunes. By muting all tracks except the desired one and repeating for each track it is possible to get the files out one at a time. Have all FX off, all sliders at 0db, including master, no eq etc. Then you get the file as an AIFF. You can convert the file to WAV in iTunes if you need to. The drawback is they will be 16 bit and in stereo (even if it is a mono track).

I have done this myself, bit of a pain but doesn't take that long really.
agent funk
Frequent Poster

Postby electrotimba » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:21 am

fletcher wrote:Well with the normal garageband you can send an uncompressed mix to iTunes. By muting all tracks except the desired one and repeating for each track it is possible to get the files out one at a time. Have all FX off, all sliders at 0db, including master, no eq etc. Then you get the file as an AIFF. You can convert the file to WAV in iTunes if you need to. The drawback is they will be 16 bit and in stereo (even if it is a mono track).

I have done this myself, bit of a pain but doesn't take that long really.
Not any different with iOS-he should use share>select uncompressed and as described above export to iTunes the AIFFs. The idea of using iOS GB is to export projects and open in Logic or GB on computer.
electrotimba
Regular

Postby agent funk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:33 am

The easiest way is to open the Garageband project in Logic of course. But I was assuming that option wasn't available.
agent funk
Frequent Poster

Postby 4TrackMadman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:37 am

Fletcher is correct - no way to import in Logic or use a Mac.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:27 am

4TrackMadman wrote:Fletcher is correct - no way to import in Logic or use a Mac.

I don't think that's quite correct. It may be that you have the wrong version of GB on your Mac:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4574
And if they'll load in GB, they'll load in Logic. From Logic you can export a multitrack in one go.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

madtheory creations

Soundware Shop

Postby agent funk » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:46 am

think you have misunderstood, 4track means he doesn't have Logic or a Mac at his disposal. Which means it has to be done the long way around as I described.

I think that's what is meant at least.....
agent funk
Frequent Poster

Postby 4TrackMadman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:58 pm

Yes, my Mac is way outdated (running 10.4) and the guy I am helping out with his project is on the newest version of GB on an iPhone and has no Mac. I am still having him try sending a GB file for me to try out if it will open on my GB (from 2005) but I doubt it will work. I think only way that we can do it is by exporting out (submixing) each file with a common start time and reassembling it on my end in Studio One or one of my other Windows DAWs.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:40 am

Maybe, now he's dipped a finger into the water on his iPad, he would like to move over to doing it for real on a less restricted platform? The main work was deciding what he wanted, it will be easy to recreate it on a real computer.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Wease » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:08 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:Maybe, now he's dipped a finger into the water on his iPad, he would like to move over to doing it for real on a less restricted platform? The main work was deciding what he wanted, it will be easy to recreate it on a real computer.

Yeah....he's using garageband on the iPhone....and although good, is somewhat limited in its sound sources.

Unless he's using samples (which actually won't be that difficult to reconfigure) or has recorded his own sound sources into the iPhone, then all his project is actually midi files....running GarageBand instruments...

If you export a GarageBand iOS project into Logic Studio, you get a midi song...no audio see.

Now this is the only way I know to get the GarageBand midi off the iOS device ....you have to have logic and a mac......then you can export the resulting midi files to any platform daw.

And I'm thinking these maybe actually of more use for a "remix" project.....cause you can replace the sounds of GarageBand with more expensive and higher quality ones.....and mix in 32bit etc etc...and add etc etc

And the composer - your mate - might want to look at your gear and decide to add to his composition....or you might!

Now.....do you know anyone with a mac?.....you can do it the audio export way, but this sounds like a right ball ache...and ball aches are bad.....

All you need is a person with a mac.....some time on their hands....an ability to say, Dropbox the files back and forth to you....and a helpful disposition who's willing to aid a fellow forumee.....consider it an Easter gift, if you will?

A pm message maybe...
Wease
Frequent Poster

Postby 4TrackMadman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:41 am

Actually one of my friends just bought a new Mac and has been asking me to show him Garageband so I might have a source for the transfer.

The bloke I am helping out is playing all the instruments himself, including drums and getting a really cool retro death metal sound (think Death circa "Leprosy", or early Pestilence). I personally like what he's doing with the limited technology, upgrading him might make him go for splashier production which IMO will ruin the material, but I did advise it. For the time being he needs help mixing using his sound sources so no midi at this point, just .wav or .aiffs.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby agent funk » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:23 pm

If you want the midi files you have to have Logic. There is no way to export files from Garageband without opening the project in Logic - from which point you create a new Logic project. Without Logic it has to be done the audio way I described before. It only takes about 30 sec per track.
agent funk
Frequent Poster

Postby 4TrackMadman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:41 pm

Thanks, I'll let you know how that fares.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby Richard Graham » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:27 am

Wease wrote:
If you export a GarageBand iOS project into Logic Studio, you get a midi song...no audio see.
Weird. Logic Express 9 will do MIDI plus audio and all plug-ins 100% perfect fromGB on iOS.
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster
"We live in capitalism, its power seems inescapable: but then, so did the divine right of kings. Any human power can be resisted and changed by human beings." - Ursula K. LeGuin

Postby Wease » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:31 am

Richard Graham wrote:
Wease wrote:
Weird. Logic Express 9 will do MIDI plus audio and all plug-ins 100% perfect fromGB on iOS.

Ahhh....I meant unless you record some audio into GarageBand iOS initially.....if you just use the garagebands internal instruments, they come out As midi tracks in logic...with the GarageBand instrument sounds

Sorry for the confusion
Wease
Frequent Poster

Postby Richard Graham » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, Wease. I am having my own problems with Logic too (see other thread!) - if you could help me out I'd be much obliged!
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster
"We live in capitalism, its power seems inescapable: but then, so did the divine right of kings. Any human power can be resisted and changed by human beings." - Ursula K. LeGuin