You are here

64 Bit or 32 bit for new installation?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

64 Bit or 32 bit for new installation?

Postby delite1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:03 pm

I only have 4 gig of ram on my i7 2012 Mac mini.I already have a 1TB fusion drive (SSD like performance to a point) for applications and a separate 1TB hard drive for audio files so the system is very nice and snappy. I am about to do a complete system rebuild with a fresh installation of all my software including Live 9 and Komplete 9 and a few Kontakt libraries like Alicia Keys etc.

I have not so far experienced any 'out of memory' errors.

Many crucial plug-ins I use apart from the above are not 64 bit and probably never will be.

I really could use your opinions on the questions below,

1) If I use Jbridge is there a cpu hit ?
2) Are there any benefits of the 64 bit version of Live that can be realized by a 4 gig system?
3) Without more than 4 gig of ram should I even be bothered with 64 bit?
4) Should I upgrade my ram to 8 gig then go 64 bit with Jbridge?

Thanks in advance and kindest regards

Billy

delite1
Poster

Re: 64 Bit or 32 bit for new installation?

Postby fatbenelton » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:30 pm

Well as you don't have any extra memory to take advantage of 64bit and it seems to be working fine, I'd leave as is. Don't know what Live is like but Logic 9 can boot into 64bit or 32bit from a 'standard' install depending on what box is ticked in preferences so it's not a big deal to 'upgrade' to 64bit when say more memory is installed. Perhaps Live is as easy??

If you use lots of samples etc more memory is always good so if you plan on using massive samples in Kontakt them I guess more memory is good. Bottom line is, can you get by with just Live and Komplete 9 (ditching the plug ins you say are crucial...)??
fatbenelton
Regular

Jonny