You are here

Snow Leopard upgrade

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Snow Leopard upgrade

Postby Mick C » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Hi all,
I'm running snow leopard om a MacBook pro, with Focusrite 24 DSP and Studio One 2 Professional.
I'm thinking of moving up to the current Mac OS, mainly because i don't want to get too far behind the times, but I feel a little nervous...

Has anyone got any comment / advice to make.

Thanks
Mick
Mick C
Poster
Mick

Re: Snow Leopard upgrade

Postby Giscol » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:07 pm

Hi Mick - I'm afraid I can't help but I'm in a similar boat (MBPro, snow leopard) - thinking about moving to mtn lion. Have heard some issues (I'm a Logic user). I'm sure someone will have experienced this?

Cheers,

Rod
Giscol
Regular

Postby turbodave » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:53 pm

Hi, I have done this...go for it! Dave
turbodave
Frequent Poster

My head hurts!

Postby desmond » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:15 am

Mick C wrote:I'm thinking of moving up to the current Mac OS, mainly because i don't want to get too far behind the times, but I feel a little nervous...

Has anyone got any comment / advice to make.

Yeah. Clone your drive, install the new OS, try it out. If it doesn't work out for you, you still have your old system drive and can continue on just as if the upgrade never happened...
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Dec 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby MarkOne » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:03 am

Currently using a Focusrite Saffire 56 with Logic on a MacBook pro with Mountain Lion. No issues whatsoever.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster

Postby Kwackman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:57 am

Do you need to clone the entire drive, or just the system folder?
Ta.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster

Cubase, guitars.

Postby Wease » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:28 am

The only issues I have for not upgrading my 2008 MacBook Pro from sl to mountain lion are

1 - require 4gb of ram for best performance...only have 2 gb at the mo....cost to upgrade ram is just under £40 from crucial

2 - some older 3rd party au don't work under mountain lion....and I need to replace these (or not use them!)

Now I have upgraded another MacBook Pro 2009 for my school to ml that has only 2gb of ram.....and it still works, but is a little stretched when working hard (which it doesn't do as often as the 2008 model)

I run a focusrite 10/10 which is also very old, but that has no issues with mountain lion...neither does my liquid mix...nor my external hd

The plus points for ml are the increased connectivity with other apple products (like AirPlay and iCloud) which is good for our school but not nessicarily so useful for people who only have 1 computer or just keep their MBP for daw/music etc...snow leopard is still solid and reliable....and still gets software updates.

I suppose, unless you have a great desire to upgrade, or you need the upgrade for certain new software you want, then you could leave it...but I have not noticed any real issues either way with either of the machines...both still work very nicely!
Wease
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:42 am

Wease wrote:The only issues I have for not upgrading my 2008 MacBook Pro from sl to mountain lion are

For me, there are a few key pieces of software I use that do not work, or work reliably, under ML. However, to move forward, I will probably retain a dual boot system so I can run ML but boot into Lion where necessary - I just haven't got round to assessing how feasible this is yet.

And really, the only real reason for me that upgrading would be nice, apart from staying reasonably current, is that ML improves upon the hilariously awful dual-screen "support" when in full screen mode in Lion, which drives me nuts every day.

Minor rant: Come on Apple, there are many people that have two monitors - adding a super-awesome-cor-look-at-my-fullscreen-wonderfullness feature into the OS that blanks out any other monitor when invoked, and then making all your apps use this system, making a multi-monitor system useless, it's just a poorly thought-out feature. So you can't, with Apple apps (and others that use the system full screen feature), for example, hit fullscreen to view video on one monitor while continuing to work on the other.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby Guy Johnson » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:18 pm

desmond wrote:

Minor rant: Come on Apple, there are many people that have two monitors - adding a super-awesome-cor-look-at-my-fullscreen-wonderfullness feature into the OS that blanks out any other monitor when invoked, and then making all your apps use this system, making a multi-monitor system useless, it's just a poorly thought-out feature. So you can't, with Apple apps (and others that use the system full screen feature), for example, hit fullscreen to view video on one monitor while continuing to work on the other.

Wow, that's amazingly stoopid! And completely bizarre ... what were they thinking???? Apple are losing the plot; they got too big a while ago. They think about money, not R&D ... I wonder who the next 'Apple' will be and what innovations they'll do...
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:04 pm

Guy Johnson wrote:Wow, that's amazingly stoopid! And completely bizarre ... what were they thinking????

Ah, it's stil not fixed in ML:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/21/inside_os_x_108_mountain_lion_gm_go_full_screen_on_any_display

Workarounds are available of course. All it really needs is a system preference checkbox to "Blank other monitors in Fullscreen mode" and to let other monitors continue as normal (there are some wrinkles here, particularly to do with what happens with the menu bar) but I'm sure some workable solutions can be found...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Mick C » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:29 pm

Guys,
Thanks for the comments.

Desmond - you suggest cloning the drive. I've never done this, is it a simple thing to do?

Cheers
Mick C
Poster
Mick

Postby Tui » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:32 pm

Mick, did you check if your MBP can run Mountain Lion? My MBP can't (not that I would want it to anyway).

You can find out with this free app:

http://mactracker.ca/

The info is under Software/Maximum OS.
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:33 am

desmond wrote:Ah, it's stil not fixed in ML:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/21/inside_os_x_108_mo...

I'm not going to get too worked up about this - after all, who amongst us who hasn't had a total Cupertino brain transplant is going to want to put their 27" screen into a mode that effectively emulates a 10" iPad, multiple screens or no - but it does seem something of a shambling heap of sh1t. Think I'll stick with SL.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Frequent Poster

Making music: Eagle Alley ... Recording music: Mr Punch's Studio  

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:11 pm

Mick C wrote:Desmond - you suggest cloning the drive. I've never done this, is it a simple thing to do?

Sure. I use SuperDuper, but there are plenty of other tools to do this.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:14 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:I'm not going to get too worked up about this - after all, who amongst us who hasn't had a total Cupertino brain transplant is going to want to put their 27" screen into a mode that effectively emulates a 10" iPad, multiple screens or no - but it does seem something of a shambling heap of sh1t. Think I'll stick with SL.

There are lots of reasons to like fullscreen modes for some applications, without surrounding window crud or clutter or other distractions - movies, software tutorial videos, photo/picture display or editing, colour-sensitive work in a dark environment, presenting pictures/video/work to clients and so on...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Fair comment. Doesn't look like it's how it's actually being used, though. Not worth an argument in any case.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Frequent Poster

Making music: Eagle Alley ... Recording music: Mr Punch's Studio  

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:41 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Fair comment. Doesn't look like it's how it's actually being used, though. Not worth an argument in any case.

Well, it's endemic to the whole system. You're watching a quicktime movie on your second monitor. You hit the full screen command, to make that movie full screen. What actually happens is the movie moves to the first monitor, goes to full screen, and blanks out the second monitor completely. Not the intended action at all.

The implementation of full screen is flawed and useless for multi-monitor users. All ML does is mean that full screen can be on the second monitor, rather than just on the first, it still blanks out all other monitors.

And this is the same for all apps that use the system full screen, iTunes, Quicktime player, DVD player and so on...
desmond
Jedi Poster