You are here

Ways of linking two iMacs

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Ways of linking two iMacs

Postby I'd Rather Play » Thu May 16, 2013 10:29 pm

I find I can't have as many large sample based players open and running on my i7 as I would like. The obvious answer is a powerful MacPro but that's expensive.
I thought of getting another iMac, somehow linking them and also getting a "free" second screen. I understand the node system wont help with 3rd party plugin instruments and is not keeping up with computing speeds, so what's the alternative?
Is it a rather crude setup of two completely separate systems with their audio interfaces linked, or is there a more elegant solution?
I'd Rather Play
Frequent Poster

Re: Ways of linking two iMacs

Postby daedalus » Fri May 17, 2013 7:47 am

Actually, the current MacPro may not be the obvious solution at all. Better off waiting for the purported upgrade.

To connect to Macs, or even a Mac to a PC, I would highly recommend Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 (VEPro5). It is a sort of shel hosting your VIs, that you run on the slave computer, the one that's not running your DAW. The computers are connected via Ethernet and pass MIDI/Audio that way to each other, which means you won't need another audio interface. The system can be a bit tricky to set up at first, but it works very well.

Another alternative would be something like Bidule, which is essentially the same concept, except that it requires an audio interface to route the audio from the slave computer to the DAW. It's more of a modular, flexible software but can be a bit daunting in use.

Before doing any of this, however, what's your DAW and what are your settings? Maybe there's more to be squeezed out of your i7?
daedalus
Regular

Just a piano and some sketch paper please...

Postby I'd Rather Play » Sat May 18, 2013 3:06 pm

Thanks Clisma, this VEPro 5 looks perfect.

I was thinking, as massive libraries become more and more common, don't you think this kind of tool should really be built into all DAWs as a standard facility,
I'd Rather Play
Frequent Poster

Postby daedalus » Sat May 18, 2013 9:40 pm

I'd certainly welcome that. Although we can't really speak of "built-in" since it is a separate machine and slightly different function from a DAW. Logic has Node, as you know, although limited, and I'm yet to meet anyone who does music for a living using it. Steinberg had VStack several years ago, which was promising but couldn't deal with synchronization. Just seems like it's a third-party market and now that VIenna have filled the niche so efficiently with VEPro, there may be less of a reason for DAW makers to venture in this direction.
daedalus
Regular

Just a piano and some sketch paper please...

Postby Wimek » Sun May 19, 2013 6:50 am

I'm not sure if it will work for you, but but freezing tracks worked for me on my old MacBook Pro. (I'm using Logic)
Wimek
Regular