You are here

Can only boot OS drive externally

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Can only boot OS drive externally

Postby Will_m » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi everyone, bit of weird one this. My macbook pro on ML was running fine earlier today but when I got home, it wouldn't boot. I took the drive out (OCZ SSD) and tried booting it externally via USB and it was all fine but as soon as I tried using it internally it wouldn't boot again. I then cloned the SSD to another drive and tried that internally and it worked fine so I'm completely lost on this one. Anyone heard of anything like this?
Will_m
Regular

Re: Can only boot OS drive externally

Postby G-Doubleyou » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:54 pm

Have you looked at the drive with the disk utility?

When you open the laptop next time take a close look at the cable for pinched or broken wires, make sure the cable is properly seated on the motherboard connector.

Try running the hardware test app, comes on the restore DVD.
Boot to the dvd by depressing the "d" key during bootup, keep the key depressed until you start to boot.

Also checkout ifixit.com the have a series of troubleshooting guides for all mac models.

G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Postby Will_m » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:55 pm

thanks G-doubleyou, ok so new development, it now sometimes boots internally but only sometimes. I've found a thread that suggests that there may be some compatibility issues with the drive and my macbook.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?103992-Agility-3-240GB-SSD-Not-Recognized-by-mid-2012-MacBook-Pro9-2

Although I don't understand why it has worked fine for a year and why the problem is intermittent?

I did look a the drive with disk utility and all seemed fine when verified. My other drive works fine internally so I don't think its a cable/connection issue.
Will_m
Regular

Postby Scope » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:30 pm

It's becoming apparent that the HD cable ( from the logic board to the drive ) can and does inexplicably randomly fail, in some MacBook Pros.
There seems to be no pattern to these failures- nor a reason why they fail.
But replacement has been known to cure this type of boot issue.
It's worth considering.
Scope
Frequent Poster

Postby Will_m » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:21 pm

Just fitted a replacement SATA cable for the internal drive and fingers crossed all seems to be ok again. Has booted several times without issue so thanks for the help guys, bit annoyed that the fault has happened as it wasn't exactly a cheap laptop but glad to be up and running on the SSD again.
Will_m
Regular

Postby desmond » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:22 pm

Cool, thanks for the update on this.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: SOS Apr 87
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...